CANR STEM-FEE Scholars Program
Thousands of jobs in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) fields of food, energy and the environment (FEE) are going unfilled in the United States today. These applied biological disciplines are vital to our national and global security and economy, but graduate too few students to meet current and projected workforce demands.
The CANR STEM-FEE Scholars Program was designed to address this important national need. This program is made possible through funding from the National Science Foundation (NSF). Read more about the grant.
Apply online by March 31, 2018. This is a competitive process. Decisions on scholarships will be made in late April.
Who Can Apply?
Scholarships are open to students who demonstrate financial need and are incoming freshmen, currently undecided or changing majors at MSU, or transferring to MSU from a community college or two-year institution who are interested in pursuing a major in:
- Animal Science
- Crop and Soil Sciences
- Fisheries and Wildlife
- Food Science
Criteria for Incoming Freshmen
Incoming freshmen must meet at least one of the three criteria to be considered:
- High school GPA of 2.8 or higher
- Composite ACT of 23 or higher
- Composite SAT (Critical Reading and Math) 1050 or higher
Criteria for Transfer Students
Transfer students must meet all criteria to be considered:
- Completion of transferable first-year college writing course
- Completion of transferable college level mathematics and science courses
- 28 or more credits transferable to MSU
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
Criteria for Current MSU Students
Current MSU students must meet all criteria to be considered.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher
- Completion of at least one science course with a grade 2.5 or higher
- Not be already enrolled in one of the seven identified majors above
What Are the Expectations If You Are Accepted?
- Maintain cumulative MSU grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher OR receive a GPA of 2.5 in each semester.
- Demonstrate academic progress in selected major.
- Enroll in special sections of two university required courses specifically designed for scholar participants:
- ISS 220 (Time, Space and Change in Human Society)
- IAH 206 (Self, Society and Technology)
In addition to the above expectations, STEM-FEE Scholars also:
- Participate in informal monthly dinner meetings with other scholars and invited scientists to discuss research, career path, time management and work-life balance.
- Participate in visits to research sites to observe and experience STEM-FEE careers, research facilities in industry, the government and MSU.
- Engage in proactive advising with faculty mentors.
Some optional activities include:
- Participation in regional or national professional STEM-FEE meetings.
- Participation in undergraduate research with faculty mentor; includes $3,000 to use in support of research experience.
How Much Scholarship Support Can I Earn?
Up to $25,000 in scholarships is available to each eligible student. Eligible scholars will receive up to $10,000 the first year of participation and $5,000 in subsequent years for a maximum potential of $25,000 depending upon financial eligibility.
How Can I Apply?
For more information about the MSU CANR STEM-FEE Scholars Program, contact Dr. Eunice Foster at email@example.com or 517-353-0135.