Non-AFRE Co-Principle Investigators: R. Niehoff, Project Director (Administration & Higher Education/ International Studies and Programs); C. Brembeck (Institute for International Studies in Education) MSU
Project Name: Pakistan Academies for Rural Development.*
Donor: Ford Foundation
Contract No: Not available
Account No: 71-2034
Location: Pakistan and Bangladesh
Key MSU Faculty: R. Niehoff, Project Director (Administration & Higher Education/ International Studies and Programs); C. Brembeck (Institute for International Studies in Education) Robert Stevens and Glen McBride (Agricultural Economics)
Documents: (Click here to view)
Project Goals: To assist officials of the Pakistan Government responsible for the development and administration of rural development programs through the establishment of two academies for rural development, one at Comilla in East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) and one at Peshawar, West Pakistan.
Cooperating Institutions: Peace Corps, specialists from Japan, Denmark, and the Population Council of New York, the academies at Comilla and Peshawar
Project Summary: The following was excerpted from Education & World Affairs, The University Looks Abroad, New York: Walker & Co., 1965: At the request of the Pakistani government and the Ford Foundation, an MSU survey mission visited Pakistan in 1956 to look into the training needs and possibilities in connection with that country's Village Aid and Basic Democracies program, aimed at providing political and general leadership at the village level to stimulate agricultural and industrial development and full utilization of resources on a community basis. As a result of this survey, MSU agreed to help develop two Village Aid academies, one at Comilla in East Pakistan (Bangladesh), and the other at Peshawar, in West Pakistan. These academies were to provide additional university-level education for rural development leaders.
The academies started virtually from scratch. Faculties were recruited from Pakistani applicants, and during 1958 most of them received training at MSU. The academies opened for classes in 1959, with six MSU faculty working with the Pakistani faculty members. Both academies became actively involved in rural development programs in Pakistan and have undertaken instruction, research, and experimental demonstrations in the fields of cooperatives, agricultural production, local government and rural credit formation, mechanization in agriculture, education, family planning, youth work, women's work, and related fields.
A number of other publications on the Pakistan projects have been produced. Among these are:
*This description is adapted from work by Nancy E. Horn, an MSU alumnus from the Anthropology Department, published in 1985 “A Project History of Michigan State University’s Participation in International Development for the period 1951 – 1985”. See AFRE Emeritus Faculty - Acknowledgements