University of Ryukyus, Okinawa. [1951-1968 ]
- Karl T. Wright
- Professor Emeritus
Non-AFRE Co-Principle Investigators: Many other MSU Faculty: R. Horwood, E. Wheller, B. Kuhn, C. Mead, R. Alexander, R. Fell and R. Hatch (Counseling); T. King, and I. Ishino (Anthropology); J. Stockton and F. Erlandson
Project Name: University of Ryukyus, Okinawa
Donor: U.S. Civil Administration of the Ryukyus (Department of the Army of the U.S. Council on Education), Rockefeller Foundation
Contract No: Not available
Account No: MSU 71-2020
Duration: April 1951 - June 1968
Budget: Not available
Documents: Click here to view
Project Goals: To develop a program of assistance to the newly-established University of Ryukyus; to assist in the making of future plans for the growth and development of the university; to assist the Ryukyuan faculty; to do credit and non-credit teaching; and to perform research.
- To formulate a basic organizational pattern for the entire university.
- To determine goals, establish priorities, and evaluate programs.
- To develop staff in Okinawa and at MSU.
- To prepare instructional programs in the natural, physical, and biological sciences and business administration.
- To provide physical facilities and equipment for the orderly expansion of the university.
- To develop specially designed educational, research, and extension programs oriented to Okinawan needs.
- To establish a university-wide library to serve the needs of faculty and students.
Project Summary: One of MSU's major institution building projects was a program of support to the development of the newly established University of Ryukyus. Forty person-years of MSU faculty effort, 14 of which represented the agricultural sciences, contributed to the project between 1951 and 1968. These advisors worked intimately with Japanese colleagues in all aspects of institutional university development. A feature of the project was the planning and implementation of educational programs combining formal programs of instruction, on campus, with those designed to meet the needs of off-campus clientele. Courses, seminars, conferences, and other teaching methodologies were developed and offered to large numbers of Okinawan teachers, farmer groups, business leaders, and others. The relationships established with this project have continued and have been manifested in linkage agreements between the University of Ryukyus and MSU.
- MSU and The University of Ryukyus:1951 - 1986: by Diana Broersma Wright on behalf of K.T. Wright. 2006.
- My Assignment, Memories and Forecast of the Future of the University of Ryukyus. 1960. By Karl T. Wright
- University of Ryukyus Project Records at MSU Archive
- MSU Celebrates Partnership with University of Ryukyus
- The Margaret Geist Collection Ryukyuan Folk Arts at the Michigan State University Museum
- MSU Study Abroad at the University of Ryukyus
- Karl Wright and others MSU International Programs - 1960
- Dr.Wright with Dean of Agriculture Higosi at the University of Ryukyus - 1960
- Dr. Wright being interviewed at the University of Ryukyus - 1958