HRT 203: Principles of Horticulture
Course Code: HRT 203
Credits and Offerings
- 3 credits (2 lecture and 2 lab hours each week)
- Every Fall Semester
This course will cover the basics of horticulture. Topics will include crop geography, crop selection and management, cultivar development, and factors affecting plant growth and development. A field trip is required.
- Familiar with the origin of agriculture and cultivated plants, the scope of the horticulture industry, and benefits that this industry provides.
- Able to explain why and how common horticulture plants are classified and identify basic plant anatomy.
- Able to understand how light, temperature, water, and nutrients effect plant growth at an applied level.
- Able to monitor plant growth, measure pH and EC, monitor for insect/disease issues, and calculate fertilizer needed for a crop.
- Able to understand how plant hormones impact plant growth and other ways to control plant growth, including training and pruning.
- Exposed to hot topics in horticulture today.