HRT 242: Passive Solar Greenhouses for Protected Cultivation
Course Code: HRT 242
Credits and Offerings
- 1 credit
- Spring semester of every year
The student will be able to:
- Make use of the marketing advantages of season extension and year-round production possible with a solar greenhouse.
- Plan and implement site and soil preparation and long term soil fertility management in a solar greenhouse.
- Evaluate and choose an appropriate manufactured solar greenhouse design/package and understand the basics necessary for ordering and construction.
- Manage a passive solar greenhouse environment including the maintenance of summer and winter ventilation for a desired temperature and humidity.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the basics of crop selection and scheduling for winter production including aspects of harvesting and estimating economic profitability.
- Introduction Discussion Forum
- Site Selection, Evaluation, Preparation; Marketing Plan
- Cost of Construction; Crop Selection and Season
- Crop Planning and Scheduling
- Estimating Production Costs, Income and Profitability
- Field trip to the MSU Student Organic Farm or alternative visit to a farm
- Final Course Evaluation – On-line Survey
- Weekly Content and Reading Reflections
- On-line Quizzes