HRT 819: Advanced Plant Breeding
Course Code: HRT 819
Credits and Offerings
- 3 credits
- Fall semester of even years
Genetic expectations resulting from breeding strategies with cross- and self-pollinated crop plants, germplasm collections, quantitative trait locus discovery and use of DNA information in plant breeding.
- To understand the rationale and potential impact of implementing different breeding strategies for cross and self-pollinated crop plants.
- To understand the DNA-informed breeding strategies including how to obtain the genetic information needed to implement such a program.
- Germplasm collections and use
- Breeding strategies for cross- and self-pollinated crop plants
- Disease resistance breeding
- Quantitative trait locus discovery
- Molecular markers and their use in plant breeding