Recurve, Compound, and Crossbow
There are many different types of archery across the world, the most common in the United States being recurve, compound, traditional, and crossbow. Recurve bows are made up of a riser, limbs, and a string. These types of bows are used mainly for competition (picture to the right), but can also cross over into traditional style shooting as well. Traditional shooting includes recurve bows without sights and longbows, which are all-wooden bows where the riser and limbs are combined. Compound bows have a riser and limbs, like a recurve, but additionally have cams that work like a pulley system to make the weight of the bow less. Compounds, though initially invented for hunting, can now be used for competition as well. Crossbows can either be recurve or compound style with a trigger system much like a rifle. Crossbows, especially in Michigan, are becoming more and more popular with hunters looking to expand their season.
At the Demmer Center, we offer training in recurve, compound and crossbow. We have all three types of equipment available for rent that you can try before you buy your own equipment.
The Demmer Center has 5 Archery Ranges:
- Competition Outdoor Range containing 15 Lanes offers 30 shooting points with a target distance up to 90 meters
- Field/3D Outdoor Range containing 15 Lanes offers 30 shooting points with a target distance up to 70 meters
- Beginner Outdoor Range containing 15 Lanes offers 30 shooting points with a target distance up to 30 meters
- Indoor Range containing 11 Lanes offers 22 Shooting Points, up to 18 meters
- Walking 3D Archery Course contains over 30 3D animals with 3 shooting points at 15 of the targets: beginner, intermediate and expert.
- Included as part of the Demmer Center is the Becky and Bob Humphries Community Archery Park.
Looking to do some outdoor shooting while the weather is nice? Here at the Demmer Center we have you covered. Our outdoor 3D ranges have 2 standing courses and 1 walking course with approximately 45 targets in total.
The Demmer Center is an affiliate Archery Center of the Easton Foundations. Learn more…