Faculty Award Opportunities
Faculty may be nominated for the following MSU and ESA awards.
Entomological Society of America (ESA) awards
- Honorary Membership: To acknowledge those who have served the ESA for at least 20 years through significant involvement in the affairs of the Society, etc.
- Fellows: Recognizes individuals who have made outstanding contributions to entomology.
- Founders Memorial Award: Established to honor the memory of scientists who made outstanding contributions in entomology.
- Award for Excellence in IPM: Outstanding contributions which have a direct relation to IPM.
- Distinguished Achievement in Extension: Must have demonstrated excellent performance through program creativity, impact, achievement and delivery.
- Recognition Award in Entomology: Recognizes individuals who make significant entomological contributions to agriculture.
- Recognition Award in Urban Entomology: Recognizes a member for contributing significantly to advancement in the field of Urban Entomology.
- Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching: Presented for excellence through innovations in teaching.
- Distinguished Achievement Award in Horticultural Entomology: Presented to honor excellence in Horticultural Entomology.
- North Central Branch Award of Merit: To recognize individuals making outstanding contributions to the NCB of ESA.
- J. H. Comstock Award: Provides recognition to members of NCB-ESA who have made outstanding contributions to the science of Entomology.
- C.V. Riley Award: To acknowledge those who have served the ESA for at least 20 years through significant involvement in the affairs of the Society, etc.
- Educational Project Awards Program (BCE) : To provide recognition to the members of the NCB-ISA for their contributions toward the advancement of the science of Entomology through educational projects.
- Early Career Innovation Award: Honors young professionals working in the field of entomology who have demonstrated innovation through contributions within any area.
- Recognition Award in Insect Physiology, Biochemistry and Toxicology: To recognize and encourage innovative research in the areas of insect physiology, biochemistry and toxicology in the broad sense.
- Thomas Say Award: Given for significant work in the fields of insect systematics, morphology or evolution.
- Recognition Award in Entomology: Recognizes entomologists who are making significant contributions in agriculture.
- IPM Team Award: Recognizes the successful efforts of a small collaborative work team approach to pest control.
- Larry Larson Graduate Student Award for Leadership in Applied Entomology: Pioneer in insect management and carries that legacy to the next generation of leaders in applied entomology.
- William J. Beal Outstanding Faculty Award: Made each year to members of regular faculty for outstanding total service to the University.
- Teacher-Scholar Awards: Made to six members of the tenure system faculty who early in their careers have earned the respect of students and colleagues for teaching.
- Community Engagement Scholarship Awards: Provides University-wide recognition of highly engaged community-based research collaborations, etc.
- Distinguished Academic Staff Awards: Recognizes outstanding achievement of those professionals who serve the University in advising, curriculum development, outreach and teaching.
- Robert F. Banks Award for Institutional Leadership: Designed to recognize the commitment and dedication that MSU faculty, academic staff and support staff leaders demonstrate by their extraordinary and sustained efforts.
- Quality in Undergraduate Teaching: Nominations are based on commitment to and evidence of outstanding undergraduate teaching including but not limited to 100- and 200- level courses.
- University Distinguished Professor Designation: From time to time the Provost requests nominations for University Distinguished Professorships from members of the faculty, deans, directors, and chairpersons. University Distinguished Professors will have been recognized nationally and usually internationally for the importance of their scholarly achievements. They will also have demonstrated the breadth of interest characteristically encompassed by the traditional role of professor as teacher and public servant. In addition, they will have brought distinction to Michigan State University as a result of their activities.
College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (CANR) awards
- Established Teacher Award: Awarded to individuals with 5 or more years teaching experience.
- New Teacher Award: Awarded to individuals with less than 5 years teaching experience.
- Camden Endowed Teacher/Scholar Award: To acknowledge quality teaching in CANR.
- H. Paul Roberts Award for Distinguished Service in Study Abroad Programs: To recognize CANR faculty and academic staff who give their time, energy and creativity to the development and implementation of study abroad programs, etc.
College of Natural Science (CNS) awards
- Junior Faculty Mentoring Award: Recognizes the outstanding mentor who successfully guides a junior faculty member(s) through their academic career path.
- Faculty Teaching Prize: To recognize teaching excellence in the College of Natural Science.
Faculty and others may nominate staff for these awards:
- Entomology Department’s Bath Award: Awarded to an administrative or research staff member for outstanding achievement and morale among staff. Due March 15. Eligibility: (1) Excellence in overall job performance, outstanding interpersonal skills and working relationships, and contributions to the department/program that lead to efficiency, effectiveness, and other accomplishments; (2) Entomology CT, AP, APSA employees. Required Application Materials: (1) Nomination by direct supervisor; (2) Two additional support letters from faculty, staff or student members of the Department of Entomology. Previous award winners are eligible to be nominated for this award more than once.
- CANR Outstanding Team Award: To recognize and reward excellence to CANR staff team for outstanding service in the past year.
- CANR Support Staffer of the Month: Monthly recognition bestowed upon a support staff person who has done something special or noteworthy within their Department or Unit.
- MSU Jack Breslin Distinguished Staff Award: Overall excellence in job performance, supportive attitude and contributions to the unit or University that lead to improved efficiency or effectiveness, etc.
- MSU Clerical-Technical Recognition Award: Selection criteria include respect and concern for all members of campus community, diligence in daily work, etc.
Faculty and others may nominate alumni for these awards:
- Distinguished Alumnus Award recognizes alumni who have made outstanding achievements in the field of entomology or related sciences.