Excellence in Teaching Awards
The College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (CANR) is pleased to announce the call for nominations for two teaching excellence awards. Both awards recognize individuals who have demonstrated a commitment to quality scholarship of teaching as evidenced by their contributions to teaching and learning and demonstrated success in these areas. Individuals nominated for these awards must be CANR faculty, academic specialists or instructors who are teaching during the fall, spring or summer semesters of the current academic year. Faculty, staff and students are encouraged to submit nominations; please note that nominators must work with the nominee to prepare the materials of application. Students should contact their department or school awards committee for assistance in preparing a nomination. Self-nominations are accepted.
- Established Teacher Award is awarded to individuals with 5 or more years (preference to those with > 5 years at MSU) teaching experience (not including graduate teaching) at one of the following ranks: tenure system (non-emeriti) faculty, fixed-term faculty, academic specialists and instructors.
- New Teacher Award is awarded to individuals with less than 5 years teaching experience (not including graduate teaching) at one of the following ranks: tenure system (non-emeriti) faculty, fixed-term faculty, academic specialists and instructors.
In its review and examination of nomination packages, the review committee is seeking to identify candidates that go above and beyond the call for duty in teaching or advising. Being an excellent teacher or advisor is necessary, but not sufficient for winning the award. The prospective winner of the award will be the one that clearly demonstrates scholarship in teaching with respect for the subject matter they are teaching or advising, respect for students and colleagues, and respect for pedagogy and advisorship itself. To verify that a nominee meets the spirit of the award, we look for:
- demonstrable evidence of dedication to instruction/advising through experimentation and successful implementation of innovative techniques and contribution to the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- evidence of excellence in instruction/advising as demonstrated by the impact on students' careers and colleagues' teaching/advising practices.
Student nominations are encouraged. Please note that students must work with nominees in the preparation of the application packet. Award recipients will be recognized at the annual College of Agriculture and Natural Resources CANR Undergraduate Graduation held each spring. Established and New Teacher Award recipients may only receive each award once.
ONE PDF COPY of the nomination packet should be sent to: Kelly Millenbah, (Subject Line: Excellence in Teaching Award) by February 23, 2018.
Please contact Kelly Millenbah with questions or concerns at email@example.com or 517-355-0234.
- Jade Mitchell - New (BAE)
- Matt Raven - Established (CSUS)
- Lorraine Weatherspoon - Established (FSHN)
- Henry Campa, III - Established (FW)
- Robert Montgomery - New (FW)
- Christopher Saffron - Established (BAE)
- Janice Siegford - Established (ANS)
- Bridget Behe - Established (HRT)
- Jason Knott - New (ANS)
- Mary Bremigan - Established (FW)
- Liz Marcher - New (ANS)
- Rafael Auras - New (PKG)
- Pat Crawford - Established (SPDC)
- Brad Rowe - Established (HRT)
- Karen Renner - New (CSS/PSM)
- Shawn Riley - Established (FW)
- Laura Bix - New (PKG)
- Kelly Millenbah - Established (FW)
- Larry Zink - New (AFRE)
- Taylor Johnston - Established (CSS/PSM)