Total time for each session is 4 days and 3 evenings.
Session 1: April 29 - May 2, 2019
Session I Objectives
- Meet other participants and learn about their interests in leadership for the common good.
- Create an awareness of participant expectations and provide an overview of the curriculum.
- Gain awareness of how leaders help teams function effectively.
- Obtain functional familiarity with the process, interactive, and content components in a group setting.
- Identify the different behavioral styles used by leaders and become familiar with your personal style.
- Learn about other’s behavioral styles and how this understanding can enhance interpersonal communications.
- Learn the three principles of healthy human psychological functioning.
- Begin to learn how to more effectively navigate the full range of human emotions.
- Understand the difference between pressure and stress.
- Explore the connection between emotional resilience, psychological flexibility, and effective leadership for the common good.
- Build an understanding of our identities and memberships in target and non-target groups.
- Explore issues of power, oppression, privilege and change at the personal, interpersonal, institutional, and cultural levels.
- Learn about a framework for Cultural Competency.
- Learn the key components of a respectful and useful mentoring relationship. Receive sources for further learning on the main themes of the Emerging Leaders Program.
Session 2: July 29 - August 1, 2019
Session 2 Objectives
- Work as a team to present group projects to the full class in an effective, efficient and creative manner.
- Increase proficiency in specific leadership meeting management techniques and tools.
- Learn core skills to increase emotional resilience and psychological flexibility.
- Increase self-awareness skills, notice your own emotional engagement, reduce reactivity, and increase ability to act in accordance with identified core leadership values.
- Explore strategies to respond constructively to inappropriate multicultural comments or behavior.
- Learn how to move difficult discussion from debate to dialogue.
- Learn about dominant cultural values and alternative behaviors.
- Become more conscious, committed and competent in our personal multicultural journeys.
- Examine the tools needed to develop a personal /professional growth plan.
Session 3: October 21-24, 2019
Session 3 Objectives
- Increase proficiency in group management.
- Describe effective framing of team decisions
- Increase self-awareness in advanced leadership skills.
- Increase understanding of advanced resource management concepts.
- Explore the complex ideas surrounding the concept of leading for the common good.
- Become skilled at recognizing and navigating difficult human emotions/experiences to increase effectiveness as a leader.
- Embrace vulnerability as an essential ingredient of leadership for the common good.
- Get clear about how you want to show up, be seen, and live brave in your work/life.
- Recognize that falling/failing is part of daring leadership.
- Provide insights in personal leadership by reporting on personal development plans.
- Define your role and responsibility in shaping a positive future.
- Develop skills to move forward in an identified arena of change/leadership.