Successful pest management in a commercial vineyard is based on a basic knowledge and understanding of the following.
1) The biology of a grape vine and its annual growth habits.
2) The biology and life cycle of insects, diseases, nematodes and weeds found in vineyards.
3) The environmental conditions favoring pests that injure the crop.
4) The susceptibility of various varieties of grapes to pests and pesticides.
5) The cultural, biological, and chemical control strategies that can be used for optimal production of commercial grapes.