Dowagiac – Southwestern Michigan College
- Agricultural Operations
- Applied Horse Science
- Fruit and Vegetable Crop Management
- Landscape Management
For more information contact:
Institute of Agricultural Technology
Southwestern Michigan College
58900 Cherry Grove Road
Dowagiac, MI 49047
A few things to consider regarding St. Joseph County and the surrounding area:
- Berrien and St. Joseph counties are ranked second and third, respectively, in the state for revenue from vegetable production, with nearly 50,000 acres combined dedicated to vegetable production.
- Van Buren County is home to more than 307 fruit and tree nut operations, and is ranked number one in Michigan for revenue generated from those growers.
- Cass County’s top commodity is hog and pig production, with more than 260 operations in the county.
- The southwest Michigan area is home to a few dozen wineries. The wine industry contributes more than $300 million annually to the state’s economy.
About our partnership
Michigan State University (MSU) and Southwestern Michigan College (SMC) are working together to offer specialized training programs for careers in some of Michigan’s highest demand industries. Students benefit from dual enrollment at both institutions with all courses delivered in Dowagiac, Michigan, the home of SMC.
This partnership allows students to earn a certificate from the MSU Institute of Agricultural Technology (IAT) while working toward an associate’s degree from SMC. The partnership between the two institutions benefits those who seek employment in agriculture, landscaping, and the grape and wine industry.
The Michigan State University (MSU) Institute of Agricultural Technology (IAT) utilizes the expertise and resources of a major university to offer unique certificate programs in East Lansing, Michigan, and other locations in partnership with Michigan community colleges around the state.
Southwestern Michigan College is a community college committed to the student experience. From providing mentoring programs and career counseling to being one of only eight Michigan community colleges with dorms, Southwestern Michigan College has all the resources and services students need to succeed at community college and beyond.