Assistant Manager Position
Employment type: Internship
Application Deadline: February 28, 2018
Assistant Manager Position Mackinac Island, Michigan – 2018
ATTN: STUDENTS AND RECENT GRADUATES
The Original Mackinac Island Butterfly House & Insect World is looking for Seniors or recent graduates studying entomology, or who are working on a degree in a related field. This is a paid position. The position is open May 3rd through the end of the season which is October. This position will provide professional and intellectual development of students through a multi-disciplinary educational approach and hands-on work experience. Each employee is required to work in their specialized area(s) 5 and ½ days each week, including weekends and evening hours. All employees are required to complete various components of the job through the guidance of their supervisor. There are no motorized vehicles on the island and it is the responsibility of the employee to bring a bicycle to the island for transportation, if desired. Housing is provided by the employer for a fee.
1) Oversee Butterfly Garden and Insect World.
2) Ensure the garden staff is well trained and completing the necessary duties, so that the garden is well watered, pesticide free, and a healthy food source for all the butterflies.
3) Responsible for the butterfly house and all of it’s exhibit animals, guests and staff when the Manager is out of the office.
4) Responsible for all Beekeeping and animal related problems will be the employees responsibility while the Manager is out of the office.
5) Ensure the completion of the USDA paperwork and that all formulas, numbers and names are correct.
6) Demonstrate organizational skills and the completion of work in a timely manner, as the handling of pupae, pests and sick animals are extremely time sensitive.
7) Educate the public: The employee will rotate working in the butterfly, and insect exhibit areas. The purpose of this time is to educate the public by giving tours, working with, and answering questions asked by our customers. The employee will be responsible for ensuring that all staff members are working efficiently and are moving with the general flow of guests.
8) Learn how to z-out the cash drawers at the end of the day and complete the deposit slips totaling the daily earnings
9) Contribute to marketing ideas and increase social media presence
10) Contribute to the development of outreach programs, classes and events
11) Research opportunities are available, employees are free to conduct independent research (butterfly/insect behaviors, emergence rates, temperature controls etc.)
Interested applicants should send the following information:
1) A copy of your resume
2) 3 references (total) – personal/professional/educational Send to: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Attn: Bob Gale/Ruth Adamus Subject: Employment/Internship
Information should be received no later than February 28th, 2018.
Positions are filled no later than March 25th.
Any questions should be directed to the emails above.