Hiring Organization: McNamara Florist
Employment type: Full-Time
Application Deadline: May 31, 2017
Job Location: Fort Wayne, IN
McNamara at Sand Point has 2 acres of production greenhouses, retail florist and gift shop, as well as retail garden center and wholesale plant business. In addition to wholesale customers, this location supplies plants and flowers to all of our Indianapolis area stores. The Assistant Grower shares the responsibility for the success and efficiency of these growing operations.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for the day to day activities that provide the means of producing quality, salable plant products.
- The Asst. Grower is responsible for the efficient time management of assigned crews and sets and maintains the pace and quality of work within the daily job assignment.
- Responsible for communicating the crews’ daily activities and progress and tasks completed to the Head Grower.
- The Asst. Grower creates a positive working environment for crew members.
- The Asst. Grower is responsible for monitoring and acting upon crop and grounds needs such as water, plant and site weeding needs, insect and disease issues, plant spacing, mechanical and chemical growth control needs, plant fertilization, scouting and application of both pre- and post-herbicide.
- Responsible for the monitoring of all facilities in the growing areas and to report any existing or potential repair issues to the Head Grower.
- Responsible for the proper unloading and placement of new plant material under the guidance of the Head Grower.
- Responsible for the upkeep, organization, and inventory control of all hand tools and vehicles used in the job function.
- The Asst. Grower shares the off day responsibilities of plant and facilities monitoring as assigned.
PHYSICAL and other requirements:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Able to be on feet and do lots of walking, very physical job
- Able to tolerate environmental conditions (heat and cold and wet and dirty)
-Commercial growing experience or equivalent education / degree required
- Fast paced working environment
- Repeatedly lift moderately heavy loads up to 50 lbs
- Ability to bend, reach, kneel, squat
- Able to push/pull heavy loads
Erin A. Davidson, Marketing Coordinator
1853 Ludlow Ave
Indianapolis, Indiana 46201
Office: (317) 596-1210