Chief of Forestry & Horticulture - Job ID № 252140
The City of New York
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: New York, NY
Application Deadline: December 13, 2016
• Under the direction of the Assistant Commissioner of Forestry, Horticulture & Natural Resources, with wide latitude for the exercise of independent judgment and decision-making, oversee programs including citywide forestry operations management and analysis, tree preservation, street tree procurement and planting, tree work permits, building plan review, forestry emergency response and horticulture management.
• Provide senior-level management for the design, procurement and implementation of capital, expense and grant-funded Street Tree Planting and Trees & Sidewalk programs.
• Provide leadership in enforcing forestry performance management standards to provide the highest level of customer service.
• Contribute to the division’s stewardship efforts and apply GIS & analytical tools, scientific research, monitoring and adaptive management to enhance policy decisions and program management.
• Work with senior staff on all associated budget, procurement, personnel, administrative, productivity reporting, database management, tracking and related programs.
• Develop policy to ensure coordination and effective delivery of forestry and horticulture services to other divisions of the Agency, other agencies and the public.
• Manage and motivate assigned staff to meet agency objectives. Help plan and implement staff training programs, and perform staff evaluations. Communicate clearly and effectively with all levels of management.
• Pursue grants and funding and develop partnerships with other agencies, environmental groups and universities.
• Manage complex jobs and projects that require prompt attention and resolution. Address and resolve time-sensitive issues that impact agency services and/or completion of division and agency initiatives.
• Represent the Agency and division at meetings, hearings, conferences and other venues.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college with major study in horticulture, arboriculture or landscape architecture and four years of full-time, paid experience in horticultural work of which two (2) years must have been in a supervisory, administrative, consultative, managerial or executive capacity; or
2. A satisfactory equivalent. However, all candidates must have at least a high school diploma or evidence of having passed an examination for a high school equivalency diploma and one year of supervisory, administrative, consultative, managerial or executive experience as described above.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates.
1. A master’s degree with a specialization in forestry or a related subject; or 10 years of experience in forestry or a related field.
2. Strong knowledge of agency structure and divisions and/or government operations.
3. Excellent management, administrative, supervisory and communication skills. Proven record of goals-based accomplishment.
4. At least five years of direct supervision of supervisory and line staff in diverse task areas including technical functions.
5. Experience in fiscal, personnel, contracts and inventory management.
6. Proficiency in computer software including Microsoft Word, Excel and Access and Internet usage.
7. Valid New York State driver license.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy or require a reasonable accommodation
during the application process, please call the Personnel Division at 212-830-7851.