Children's Garden seasonal worker
Cleveland Botanical Garden
Employment type: Seasonal
Job Location: Cleveland, OH
Application Deadline: May 31, 2017
Seasonal Worker - Educational Children’s Garden (garden 2017)
Position Title: Seasonal
Department: CBG Education (540668)
Holden Forests and Gardens has two seasonal positions available in the Education Department at the Cleveland Botanical Garden campus. The Education Seasonal will assist in the management of plantings, structures, educational features and programming of the Hershey Children’s Garden. This person in this position will also assist in other areas of the Education Department, such as family engagement, public programs, school programs and camps.
- Reports to the Manager of Family Engagement
- Works with Academic Program Coordinator
- Works with the Manager of Public Programs
- Works with Volunteers
- Cleveland Botanical Garden – Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio, USA
- Located in the heart of Cleveland’s cultural, health, and education district, 10 minutes east of downtown Cleveland.
- Holden Forests and Gardens is 12th largest public garden in the U.S. It is comprised of two campuses, Cleveland Botanical Garden and Holden Arboretum.
- Assist with the maintenance and horticultural upkeep, including all plantings, garden features, and displays in the Hershey Children’s Garden.
- Create and implement educational opportunities in the Garden for families, schools and other youth organizations.
- Lead inquiry based learning experiences including, but not limited to, tours of outdoor gardens and the glasshouses, as well as one-on-one guest interactions, and programs such as a storytime.
- Help develop and lead summer camp programs. Assist in the instruction of school groups, scout programs, and garden classes.
- Assist in the development of informational hand-outs, signage and interpretation for the Children’s Garden.
- Assist in the development and upkeep of hands on features for indoor family education areas.
- Assist in the preparation and execution of large family oriented seasonal events.
- Serve as the point of contact for weekly volunteers, working in collaboration with them to complete projects and tasks.
- Assist with other responsibilities, programs, and events as necessary in the Education Department.
- High school graduate with minimum 2 years in college or post-secondary program: prefer education, environmental/natural resources, horticulture/agriculture, museum exhibit/interpretation studies, child development or related field.
- Experience in youth education, leadership or counselor roles.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Exemplary communication skills.
- Experience with plant care and gardening preferred but not required.
- Availability to work week days, weekends, and some evenings.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs. and work outdoors in extreme weather conditions.
- Sitting, standing, kneeling and bending on uneven work surfaces.
- Must pass a criminal background check / drug test.
- Acceptable driving record - 3 points or less.
- Mid-March through Mid-November
- Starting / ending dates flexible.
- Five days per week with weekend work, 9:00 AM to 5:30PM
- Approximately 40 hours per week
Wages: $10.00 per hour
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a resume online: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=15510331
Posting Date: January
Closing Date: Until Filled
This position will be employed through a staffing agency service.
Holden Forests and Gardens (Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.