Hiring Organization: The University of Michigan’s Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum
Employment type: Full-Time
Application Deadline: June 18, 2017
Job Location: Ann Arbor, MI
The University of Michigan’s Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum is looking for a self-motivated, outcome-oriented individual with excellent communication and technical skills to coordinate day-to-day facilities maintenance across four properties within the greater Ann Arbor, MI area.
Matthaei Botanical Gardens & Nichols Arboretum is a center for rich and diverse nature-based experiences. We offer outstanding opportunities for expanding U-M student, faculty, and public understanding of plants and ecology, and for field study, conservation and ecological restoration, and for respite and well-being. This position will be instrumental in achieving our goal of Caring for Nature, Enriching Life...
We host over 250K University of Michigan students and faculty and community visitors at our four properties every year. People visit our many formal and native plant gardens, walk our trails, attend classes and events in our classrooms and meeting spaces, enjoy our conservatory, shop in our store and at our plant sales, learn about our plant collections and ecosystems, and conduct research in our five production greenhouses. The facilities coordinator is responsible for ensuring that our facilities are in good working order in support of all these many important purposes. We are looking for a creative problem-solver who understands our purpose and priorities, and can think outside the box to get things done.
Salary Range: $40,000-$45,000
Specific responsibilities of the facilities coordinator position include:
- Ensuring that all building and external infrastructure is in good working order at all times, including greenhouse systems, irrigation, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, parking,roadways and more – through regular inspections, consistent communication with staffmembers who use the systems and other monitoring activities
- When maintenance or repairs are required, working with Plant Operations throughwork orders and on-site coordination of Plant Operations personnel to ensure thatmaintenance and repairs are completed in a timely fashion
- Communicating with staff and director regarding the status of maintenance and repairpriorities as well as the status of any building and facilities projects
- Managing the University’s annual space allocation inventory
- Managing vehicle leases
- Managing internal requirements regarding construction and renovation projects and coordinating with facilities and building personnel.
- Managing property disposition processes
- Installing and maintaining interpretative and way finding signage
- Assisting with the facility needs for special events
- Supervising student employees and overseeing the work of volunteers
- Performing all other duties as assigned
- 3-5 years experience working with building systems such as greenhouses, HVAC, electrical, roads and trails, water etc.
- Self-starter with the ability to understand and accomplish the end result
- Outstanding problem-solving abilities
- Successful experience working in a collaborative team environment
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and manage changing demands
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to work evenings and weekends when needed
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to transport 40 pounds
- Experience working with large equipment such as bobcats, tractors, snowplows, and trucks
- Demonstrated ability to safely operate power equipment such as mowers, tractors, sprayers, and a variety of hand implements and tools
- Experience with facility issues in production greenhouses, conservatories, barns, residences, and other structures commonly found at a botanical gardens and arboretum
- Experience in construction/handyman/carpentry work
- Experience with old or historic buildings
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
We believe diversity strengthens our ability to accomplish our mission.
To apply, please visit the University of Michigan Careers website careers.umich.edu and search for Job Opening ID 142834. Applications will be accepted through June 18, 2017.