MSU Student Organic Farm
Employment type: Seasonal
Job Location: East Lansing, MI
Application Deadline: December 19, 2016
JOIN THE CREW AT THE STUDENT ORGANIC FARM!
Position: Spring 2017 Farm Crew Member
Hours: Part-time (under 20 hours/wk)
Farm Description: The MSU Student Organic Farm is a 15-acre educational vegetable farm three miles south of campus. We grow over 70 types of vegetables, 30 types of cut flowers and raise chickens, pigs, and honeybees.
Position Description: Spring farm work is sometimes hot, sometimes cold, often dirty, and tiring but extremely rewarding. We work in all weather conditions so applicants must be aware of the weather and must be able to supply proper clothing (boots, rain gear, hat, etc.). Work tasks include all necessary farm labor including seeding, transplanting, irrigation, weeding, harvest and more. We are looking for hard working, dependable people to work through our spring season (January through April). We offer vegetables to take home and many amazing learning opportunities. Spring crew members are asked to work a few weekend days and to occasionally
staff our CSA on Thursdays, when available.
Qualifications: We are looking for current MSU students for our crew. Applicants should be hard working, dependable team players. Previous physical labor experience is preferred. Flexibility and a willingness to learn are necessary. Must be available from the beginning of January through April (and later). We prefer to hire workers who are interested in continuing to work on the SOF crew part-time during the school year and summer.
Pay: starts at $8.50/hr with opportunities for raises based on performance
To Apply: Please answer the following questions and e-mail your answers and a résumé to Denae Friedheim at email@example.com Upon reviewing applications we will set up interviews individually.
Application deadline is December 18, 2016.
1. Why are you a good fit for the Student Organic Farm crew?
2. Explain how you have been a leader in the past. What challenges and successes did you have with this?
3. What work have you done that required working in inclement conditions? What did you do to succeed in those situations?
4. When are you available to work? Please include start date and end date (if applicable) as well as any prior weekly or daily obligations. What is the ideal number of hours you can work per week?
5. Please list the names and phone numbers for two references.