Hiring Organization: Bird Creek Farms
Employment type: Full-Time
Application Deadline: January 1, 2017
Job Location: Port Austin, MI
Farm Manager Position
About Bird Creek Farms
Bird Creek Farms is a 39acre certified organic farm located in Port Austin, Michigan, within a mile from Lake Huron. About 2 acres of the space, including a heated greenhouse and an unheated hoophouse, are dedicated to annual vegetable crops and fruit. The remainder of the space is used as pasture space for poultry, or used to grow organic alfalfa. The farm is owned by the Steigerwald family and has been in operation since 2013. Bird Creek Farms is managed using regenerative principles, including crop rotation, composting, cover cropping, and rotating chicken pasture with planting space. The farm is a productive entity which primarily produces food for the onfarm restaurant, The Taproom at Bird Creek Farms. www.birdcreekfarms.com.
The farm manager is responsible for working with the farm owner to sustain the planting and harvesting plan for a small vegetable and herb garden, a raspberry and strawberry planting, a half acre of heirloom garlic, and pastured laying hens and broiler chickens. The farm manager is encouraged to use his or her creativity and knowledge to keep Bird Creek a productive and beautiful farm, which welcomes the local community and visitors with open arms.
● Plan, grow, harvest, store, and sell produce, meat and eggs
● Order necessary seed, feed, supplies, etc.
● Keep records to maintain organic certification
● Attend regular meetings with land/business owner to track progress
● Track farm sales and expenses
● Work with Taproom chef to bring farmgrown food to table
● Make deliveries of farm goods and own sales effort at Farmer’s Markets.
● Maintain vehicles and farm equipment
● Keep the farm and tools tidy
Qualifications and Experience
● Compensation based on experience
● Subsidized housing within walking distance to farm
● A share of farm products
● The opportunity to grow as a farm manager and to be a part of a collaborative team with the Taproom at Bird Creek Farms
Please send a cover letter and your resume to Scott Steigerwald at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested. We look forward to hearing from you!