Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Pittsboro, NC
Application Deadline: February 28, 2017
Reporting to the Department Manager, this is an existing, full time position and may involve working a weekend/weekday schedule (tbd). Fearrington Village (Fitch Creations, Inc.) seeks a gardener who will:
- Perform all duties associated with the design, installation and care of assigned garden displays and maintain site cleanliness to the highest standards; including walkways and patios.
- Perform assigned secondary roles – for example, materials sourcing, group tour scheduling, sustainability, etc. – to facilitate the smooth functioning of department-wide activities.
- Coordinate if applicable with other departments to ensure assigned areas are properly prepped for special and private events.
- Help create and maintain outdoor seasonal displays for Halloween, the holidays and more.
- Interact daily with guests and visitors, including providing tours.
Duties and Responsibilities
Gardeners maintain assigned areas or zones within the Village Center as well as cutting gardens, indoor and outdoor potted displays, highway beds, greenhouses and materials storage areas. They have creative autonomy with regard to design and plant selection within existing beds yet also communicate within the department to ensure an overall design cohesion. He or she:
- Performs a range of tasks important to the cultivation, preservation and protection of existing plants, including but not limited to soil preparation, planting, mulching, weeding, watering, fertilization and integrated pest management.
- In consultation with Department Manager, completes display designs, select and order plants as needed for designs and perform the installation of the designs.
- Coordinates with the grounds crew maintenance which includes irrigation, use of mechanized equipment such as hedge trimming, and accessing ladders and scaffolds to prune trees, maintain light fixtures, etc.
- Operates equipment and maintain general care of tools necessary for gardening work including but not limited to golf carts, blowers, carts, and a variety of hand tools. Ensures that all applicable safety standards are followed.
- Performs other duties on company property including but not limited to other parts of the Village Center, Camden Park, the Restaurant’s vegetable garden, and neighborhoods under development. May lead garden tours. May provide off-hours support such as watering, night time inspections and completing seasonal/holiday/event preparations.
- Participates in company-directed continuing education. This includes occasional visits to regional horticultural destinations and attendance at area workshops and lectures. Gardeners are invited to propose individual continuing education opportunities for company reimbursement.
- Is neat and clean in appearance and wear at all times the company-provided “Fearrington Gardens” t-shirts, sweat shirts and jackets. Jeans or other casual wear, and personal accessories, are permissible as long as safety precautions are followed.
- Behaves with the highest integrity and communicates in a manner that promotes and fosters a culture of teamwork and cooperation within the department and company.