Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Application Deadline: February 8, 2018
Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum is seeking a regular, full time Greenhouse Coordinator / Lead grower to oversee the care of all plants and plant production in our greenhouses. The Greenhouse Coordinator will work with the Field Services team in support of research, teaching, public outreach, restoration, conservation, beautification and display.
- Oversee the production, handling and care of all plants in the greenhouses including special collections, conservatory stock, research plants, sale plants, native Michigan plants, stock for outdoor collections, etc.
- Work with Matthaei-Nichols Staff to develop and refine greenhouse standards, policies and procedures.
- Plan, coordinate and keep records: IPM, watering, fertilization, cleaning, bench space, cold frames and other cold storage space for plants.
- Collaborate with Facilities Manager, monitor greenhouse conditions, infrastructure and environmental controls, report problems, investigate solutions, recommend upgrades – oversee operation of vents, help coordinate whitewashing, shade cloth, mist systems, lighting, heated benches, etc.
- Assist Conservatory Manager and Garden Manager during off seasons or as needed.
- Hire, train and supervise student employees. Plan, coordinate and lead staff and volunteer workdays.
- Work with Faculty and students to host their research and support their teaching.
A positive approach, good work ethic and enthusiasm for teamwork is necessary. A combination of education and experience: a degree in Horticulture or related field and experience working in greenhouses, exotic/native plant production and indoor plant care. Willingness to work weekends and evenings as needed. Success growing plants for sale including variety selection/combinations, production, and display. Skills: watering, fertilizing, IPM and managing growing conditions in greenhouses. Ability to transport up to 40lbs. Must be willing and able to work in challenging greenhouse conditions. Must have a Pesticide Applicator’s License or be able to obtain one to apply pesticides in the greenhouses.
Creative person with a mindset for making continuous improvements and building our capacity. Strong problem-solving abilities and an entrepreneurial spirit. Previous experience with any of the following: Bonsai, orchids, bromeliads, cycads and other demanding tropical, temperate or desert plants. Experience working in a conservatory. The ability to grow MI native plants for restoration projects and for sale. Previous leadership and supervisory experience with staff and volunteers. Experience working in an academic environment with faculty and staff conducting research.
Our vision is:We will be the center for rich and diverse nature-based experiences for the University of Michigan and its surrounding communities. We will provide exceptionally beautifulgardens and natural areas for enjoyment. We will train a new generation of environmental leaders in sustainability, conservation and ecological restoration and engage research that deepens our understanding of plants, ecology, and the role of nature in our lives.
Our mission is:Promoting environmental enjoyment, stewardship and sustainability through education, research and interaction with the natural world.
We believe diversity strengthens our ability to accomplish this mission.
For more information about Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum, please visit mbgna.umich.edu
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
How to Apply
To apply, please visit the University of Michigan Careers website careers.umich.edu and search for Greenhouse Coordinator. A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.