Sawyer Nursery, Inc
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Hudsonville, MI
Application Deadline: August 25, 2016
JOB TITLE: Head Grower
DEPARTMENT: Plug / Propagation
REPORTS TO: Plug Manager
Under supervision by the Plug Manager, oversees all aspects of crop production in area of responsibility in order to produce high quality plants while maximizing profit. Ensures that there is a proper growing environment, heating, cooling, irrigation, fertilization, and weed control required to achieve high yields while maintaining high plant quality standards within a broad spectrum of varieties. Production takes place in greenhouses and outdoor in container fields which includes being exposed to extremely hot and cold temperatures and chemicals. Standing, sitting, bending, twisting, and lifting of up to 30 lbs. is required. Performs other duties as necessary.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates and participates in planning, growing, and harvesting product.
- Maintains cultural aspects of container material. Performs soil testing including moisture levels, pH, etc. Ensures proper light, heating, cooling, irrigation, fertilization, weed and insect control including chemical handling and application. Scouts plants for diseases and insects.
- Oversees harvesting of crop production in area of responsibility and ensures that product is ready to ship by adhering to strict deadlines.
- Ensures product quality. Monitors planting of product in containers several times a day to ensure that product is being potted properly and meets quality standards. Inspects cuttings, seeds, and bare root material to ensure products meet quality standards.
- Prepares reports or directs preparation of reports summarizing production activities. Monitors “weeks-to-finish” and recommends any changes needed to optimize production and meet schedules/deadlines.
- Ensures that proper maintenance is performed on equipment.
- Adheres to safety policies and maintains safe working environment.
- Oversees and directs day-to-day activities of employees including, but not limited to maintenance, water technicians, and other staff.
- Analyzes past, present, and expected operations and interprets current policies and practices and implements procedures to improve operations and reduce costs.
- Accurately fills out all daily paperwork for moves, dumps and ensures that it is approved, signed off and turned into the appropriate area, on time.
- Creates, runs and analyzes reports as needed in support of company objectives. Performs other duties as necessary in support of company goals and objectives.
- Bachelor Degree; or equivalent experience
- Three years’ experience in horticulture or similar industry. Experience with perennial growing strongly preferred.
- Ability to visually observe, monitor and identify plants including health and quality.
- Must be able to move around from greenhouse to greenhouse which involves working inside and outside with exposure to weather which can be have varying temperatures and levels of precipitation and sunshine. Ground is often unstable, muddy or uneven.
- Ability to analyze, troubleshoot and problem-solve.
- Ability to manage project timelines and organize priorities/workload as needed.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer software and applications.
- Ability to operate, oversee and maintain equipment used to perform job duties.
- Good communication, social, and active listening skills; must be able to effectively communicate to others.
- Knowledge of inputs, outputs, raw materials, waste, quality control, costs, tools and techniques for maximizing production and distribution of products.
- Ability to generate new ideas and a number of different approaches to problems and monitor and assess how well a project is doing.
Start date immediately
Eligible for Healthcare Benefits, one month after start date
Annual Salary $40k - $50K