The Home Ranch
Employment type: Internship
Job Location: Clark, CO
Application Deadline: February 28, 2017
The Home Ranch is a luxury guest ranch and member of the Relais & Chateaux small hotel association, focused on creating outstanding cuisine from the freshest ingredients to pair with the finest wines. The Home Ranch was one of the first high-elevation farm-to-table guest ranches in Colorado, and our executive chef and cooks all appreciate the importance of farm fresh ingredients.
Clark Property Management encompasses the horticulture team for The Home Ranch, as well as property management for a few select properties around the Elk River Valley. As such, our daily and weekly tasks are multi-faceted. Twice weekly and as requested, we provide the kitchen with fresh market-ready produce. Our team is also responsible for landscape maintenance, flowerbed detailing, and general grounds work around the Ranch and the CPM properties. Other tasks include daily care of a flock of 65 laying hens, and creating and maintaining ambiance cut flower arrangements around the lodge and guest cabins.
Our team is kept busy all summer, and we truly do enjoy every minute of it! Working outside in the Rockies, at the seat of the Zirkel Wilderness makes coming to work satisfying. Employee housing units are all a walk able distance away from the ranch, so you can start your day seamlessly. Room and board is also included in your salary, so no need to worry about cooking.
We’re all passionate about growing plants, being outside and having fun while we do it…but you probably are, too! We look forward to hearing from you and integrating your passions with our vision here at The Home Ranch.
Note: This job description shall not be construed as a contract for employment. The Home Ranch is an at-will employer.
As a prerequisite to employment, a background check, driving record check and credit report may be performed.
The horticulture intern is primarily responsible for working with the Master Gardener, Assistant Supervisor and other Horticulture staff in all aspects of the Farm-To-Table program, flower gardening and landscaping projects for the Home Ranch and Clark Property Management Company.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Help with all aspects of greenhouse production: amending beds, planting, weeding, watering, harvesting and washing produce. Also daily opening and closing of the greenhouse.
- Help with farm animals when needed.
- Willingness to be flexible to work with the rest of the horticulture crew as needed on landscape maintenance and landscape flowers.
- Complete any intern project requirements from school.
- Willingness to take on a project that pertains to both Ranch needs and your major, to research, complete and/or implement in the 2017 season or beyond.
RESPONSIBILITIES TO SAFETY:
- Protect the safety of self, co-workers and ranch guests at all times.
- Report any potentially harmful equipment or situations to the immediate supervisor without delay.
- Report safety-related accidents and incidents at once to immediate supervisor.
- Follow all company and department safety policies and procedures.
- Operate equipment and vehicles in a safe manner that will not lead to injury of yourself or others.
- Drive in accordance with the law and resort policies.
- Handle all gardening and lawn mowing tools and equipment in a responsible manner and do not leave out and about.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Participating in a college or university horticulture, land management, edible landscaping or sustainability program, with an emphasis in farm-to-table programs or landscape management.
A strong interest in any and all aspects of horticulture preferred.
A valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
1+ year in horticulture helpful, but not required.
Landscape design, horticulture, sustainability or a comparable major preferred.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions.
Ability to log daily activities.
Ability to comfortably communicate with co-workers and guests.
Ability to work independently, as well as in a group.
Ability to use a scale and add weight in ounces and pounds.
Ability to use common sense to carry out daily directions.
Ability to understand and follow planting diagrams.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to lift 50# repeatedly
- Haul hoses for watering throughout the day on a daily basis. (We do not have irrigation systems for the lawn, landscape and most of the vegetable beds.)
- Carry watering jugs
- Kneel and/or stand for long periods of time
- Use standard gardening tools (shovels, wheelbarrows, rakes, clippers, etc.)
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the daily routine of this job, the employee will encounter all types of weather, hot, cold, rain, snow etc. Employee needs to arrive at work prepared to handle all weather throughout the day with appropriate clothing, water bottle and boots.
- The intern must always be ready and willing to take time to talk with guests.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.