IPM and Agronomy Intern
Employment type: Internship
Job Location: Yakima Valley, WA
Application Deadline: March 31, 2018
Paid Internship Opportunity – IPM and Agronomy Intern
Come work for Hop Farms and an Apple Orchard in the Yakima Valley, WA
Start: May 2018 (Dates Flexible) End: October 2018
Summary: Work for Loftus Ranches in Moxee, WA, and Tributary Hop Farms 30 minutes away in Granger, WA. These two hop farms grow over 1,800 acres of hops and 35 acres of tree fruit. In addition to these two hop farms, you will be able to spend time at Olympic Orchards, a 500 acre apple operation in Sunnyside, WA. These three farms have shared management, and you will have the opportunity to work with each farm and gain exposure to several unique, high-value cropping systems in the area.
- Scout fields for pests, disease, and abiotic stress and help make recommendations based on the findings
- Collect soil, water, plant tissue, fruitlet, and petiole samples throughout the growing season
- Input, process, and present data to the agronomy department to aid in making IPM and fertility decisions
- Assist in the implementation of on-farm trials, data collection, and analysis
- Help ensure compliance, and organize information as required by Food Safety programs, and the WSDA Organic program for Apples and Hops
- Attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills to ensure accurate data and thorough recordkeeping
- Strong skills related to task management
- Ability to follow instructions and follow through on tasks in a timely manner
- Ability and willingness to work long hours: normal hours are Mon-Fri 6am-4:30pm and Saturdays 6am-noon
- Experienced in the use of Microsoft Excel, and Access. Experience with statistical software and GIS preferred
- Must be willing and excited to work with a culturally diverse group • Knowledge of entomology, soil, and plant sciences preferred
- Ability to safely operate a 4-wheeler or side-by-side off-road vehicle
Compensation: $15.00/hr. The use of a company vehicle during work hours for transportation to and from different farms and fields. Produce from the farm garden.
Housing: The farm will not be able to provide housing, but we will assist in your housing search. Housing is available in the area and expect to pay $400-800/mo. depending on whether you will have roommates, etc.
To Apply: Please email your resume and a brief (1 page) description of yourself, your experience, and an explanation of your career goals to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org