Landscape Construction Laborer 1
Employment type: Seasonal
Application Deadline: April 5, 2014
Basic Function and Responsibility
Provide labor assistance in landscape installation and site restoration activities.
Work Hours & Days
Employment Period: April 1st 2014 – November 28th 2014*
Work Week: Monday – Friday 6:00am – 2:30pm
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform landscape installations including plant material, signage, site furniture, edging, and boulders.
- Assist with grading, digging, back filling, hauling, mowing, hoisting and loading operations with power driven equipment.
- Operate trucks including truck/trailer combinations for transporting heavy equipment, implements, materials and supplies.
- Assist in the installation of irrigation systems.
- Assist in the installation of retaining wall and brick pavers.
- Assist in the grading, seeding and sodding of lawn areas following project plans and adhering to soil erosion and sedimentation control guidelines.
- Assist in the transplanting and moving of trees, shrubs, flowers and other plant material.
- Assist in planting bed and turf area soil amendments verifying soil characteristics to provide optimum growing conditions.
- Assist in the training, inventory, security, safe operation, adjustment, care and cleaning of tools and equipment. Routinely inspect assigned areas for evidence of disease, insects and other
- pests, taking appropriate corrective action within the principles of Integrated Pest Management.
- Operate and perform regular maintenance to light and medium weight vehicles, such as daily oil checks, grease fittings, and tire pressure checks.
- Maintain routine records such as vehicle pre-trip and post-trip inspection reports.
- Perform manual labor to include shoveling and raking.
Perform related duties as assigned including but not necessarily related to:
Erect and maintain street and pedestrian barricades, warning signs, fences and gates.
Work with and assist other Landscape Services Department crews when necessary.
Participate in football tailgate clean up.
Supervision is received from a designated supervisor.
One year experience performing maintenance and installation of landscape construction projects.
Working knowledge of landscape tools, landscape equipment, horticultural methods and techniques used in the maintenance and installation of landscape projects.
Possession or attainment of a MSU forklift operator's permit prior to completion of applicable trial or probation period.
Possession of a valid Michigan Class A Commercial Driver's License with applicable endorsements and medical certificate to comply with State of Michigan requirements. Applicants must have a good driving record and submit their operator's license number on their application form for a motor vehicle check.
Must drive University vehicle to perform job duties of this classification.
The ability to work in variable or severe weather conditions.
Participation in Campus Snow Removal Plan.
This position requires significant after-hours, weekends and holiday work.
Frequent lifting of over 75 pounds.
This position requires, or will require prior to the completion of the probationary period: knowledge of basic personal computer terminology and operations, and the ability to use e-mail and the Internet.
All interested applicants are required to fill out an application and submit your resume by March 20th at the Landscape Services Building – 1060 Stadium Rd – East Lansing, MI 48824. Contact Adam Kingsbury at email@example.com if you have any questions about the position.