Landscape Specialist with Rose Experience
Edsel & Eleanor Ford House
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
Application Deadline: May 31, 2017
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Jens Jenson landscape at the Edsel & Eleanor Ford House is a significant component of the historical importance of the estate. The Rose garden is a key feature of the landscape. The Landscape specialist will work with the crew to preserve, restore and maintain the grounds of the Edsel & Eleanor Ford House. In addition this position will work in the rose garden and flower garden to give it special care.
RESPONSIBILITIES and Accountabilities:
- As a landscape department team member, works on the preservation, restoration and maintenance of the landscape and grounds.
- Will work each week in the rose garden including appropriate use of insecticide, fungicide and herbicide, proper pruning techniques and soil analysis to determine fertilizer and water requirements.
- Performs advanced landscape department responsibilities, including integrated pest management, invasive species removal, structural pruning of historic trees and maintaining chemical storage and inventory.
- Ability to interact with visitors, garden and school groups, as well as lead garden walks as an industry expert in rose garden maintenance and establishment.
- Participates with general landscape department responsibilities including, but not limited to: preparing plant beds, clean-up, weeding and planting; pruning trees, shrubs and hedges; trimming vines; mowing; edging; raking; snow removal; etc.
- Ability to quickly adapt to new responsibilities, working events, on-call for winter snow removal and regular interaction with the public.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Successful completion of one or more of the following: Degree in horticulture, floriculture, landscape preservation, or Master Gardener Program.
- State of Michigan Certification in Commercial Pesticide Application.
- A minimum of five years’ work experience with experience as a rosarian preferred.
- Ability to identify common trees, plants and shrubs on estate.
- Demonstrated knowledge of horticulture and grounds maintenance procedures.
- Operate equipment including tractors, loader, zero turn mowers, etc.
- Operate power and hand tools, including mowers, chainsaws, weed whips, plows, etc.
- Ability to lift 35 pounds on a regular basis; work outside for long periods of time in unfavorable conditions; perform strenuous manual labor requiring considerable walking, lifting, reaching, climbing, stooping, pushing, pulling and carrying.
- Flexible work schedules to accommodate weekends, evenings and holidays.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit cover letter and resume, with salary requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org