1. Performs horticultural tasks. This includes the following:
• Designs, plans, plants, prunes, cleans and maintains perennial flowerbeds, shrub beds and other plantings. Purchases materials and plant stock.
• Tills, fertilizes, mulches flowerbeds and other plantings; chip mulches trees, shrubs, and other plantings.
• Prunes trees and shrubs, assists Forester in ensuring trees are maintained in a safe and healthy condition.
• Performs mechanical and chemical weed and pest control in flowerbeds, shrub and mulch areas and general park areas as part of an Integrated Pest Management program.
• Irrigates and performs minor irrigation repair.
2. Uses a variety of machinery, equipment, and tools to accomplish tasks
• Performs routine maintenance on related machinery, equipment, and tools.
3. Supervises seasonal or temporary employees, jail crew, community service workers, and volunteers, including task assignment and work instruction. as described in the supervisory paragraph below
4. Maintains records of plantings, material and supplies, orders, purchases, and work performed, including Integrated Pest Management activities.
5. Performs snow removal and other general park maintenance tasks as required.
6. Assists Forestry staff with basic tree care activities. Includes pruning small trees and shrubs, watering and mulching trees and storm cleanup.
7. Plans work schedule to meet specified objectives.