McManus Farms Internship
Employment type: Internship
Job Location: Traverse City, MI
Application Deadline: February 1, 2018
George and John McManus
741 Garfield Road South
Traverse City, MI 49696
Our farm is located 4 miles south of South Airport Road, in Traverse City, MI and consists of 500 acres of land of which 250 acres is currently in cherry production. We produce Black sweet, Briners, Montmorency and Balaton cherries. All of the fruit we produce is sold wholesale. Agricultural workers maintain the quality of farms, produce and machinery and do physical labor under the supervision of the farm manager.
Intern learning opportunities:
- Fertilize trees in the spring based on soil and tissue samples for optimal production
- Pruning system for cherry trees from 3 to 30 years of age
- Orchard floor management to control weeds for better use of nutrients and water
- Mowing to keep air movement to prevent fungal diseases and get machinery in orchards.
- Spray fertilizer or pesticide solutions to control insects, fungi and weeds based on IPM recommendations
- Operation and management of harvesting equipment including cherry shakers, forklifts, trucks.
- Operating cherry cooling pads to cool fruit to prepare for transportation to processing plant
- Removing old orchards and prepare field for future planting
- Take leaf and soil samples.
This farm currently has 1 manager, and 3-4 university foreign intern/trainees. We also hire college and high school students for the summer harvest from June through August. Our interns learn how to work together to bring a quality fruit product to market. We offer competitive pay, which is based on experience. Our employees/interns work 40 to 50 hours a week until harvest at which time they work 60 plus hours a week. We can be flexible with time off prior to and after harvest, but expect everyone to work the 3-4 weeks of harvest.