Plant Records Internship - arboretum
Hiring Organization: Holden Forests and Gardens (Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden)
Employment type: Internship
Application Deadline: December 31, 2017
Job Location: Kirtland, OH
Plant Records Internship (arboretum)
Position Title: Intern
Department: Hort & Con - Interns (010158)
Holden Forests & Gardens (Holden Arboretum and Cleveland Botanical Garden) has a 12-month Plant Records Internship opportunity beginning in August 2017. To qualify you must be a graduate with Horticulture major or in a related field of study from an accredited, two- or four-year college program. Horticulture majors, or related field of study, who have not yet graduated, may also be considered.
- Plant Records Curator
- Work with Horticulturists, Nursery Supervisor and Plant Collections Supervisor
- Work with volunteers
- Holden Forests and Gardens is 12th largest public garden in the U.S. It is comprised of two campuses, Cleveland Botanical Garden and Holden Arboretum.
- Cleveland Botanical Garden located in the heart of Cleveland’s cultural, health, and education district, 10 minutes east of downtown Cleveland.
- The Holden Arboretum – Kirtland, Ohio – less than 30 miles east of Cleveland. Encompassing more than 3,600 acres of cultivated gardens, woody plant collections and natural forested areas
- The position will work at both campuses but will be based at the arboretum in Kirtland.
Assists in inventorying Holden’s plant collection by:
- Assessing the overall condition of garden plants and measuring their dimensions
- Locating plantings and other features on the grounds
- Entering data into BG-Base and BG-Map databases
- Creating and attaching plant labels throughout the collection
- Gathering data on phenology – flowering, fruiting and fall foliage times in particular
- Collecting and documenting herbarium voucher specimens from plants in the collection
- Accessioning acquired plants and de-accessioning dead or discarded plants
- Assisting in the production of maps and annual cataloging
- May assist with planting or maintaining the living collection or be assigned to Holden’s Nursery operation for propagation activities and is encouraged to take advantage of our education program by attending or leading tours and classes.
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student, or recently graduated from an accredited, two or four-year college program
- Degree focus must be in horticulture or a related area of study such as botany, landscape architecture, etc.
- Previous experience is preferred.
- Demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career in horticulture or a related field.
- Excellent ability to communicate and interact with the general public.
- Applicants must have their own transportation
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required to be covered on Holden Forests & Garden’s vehicle insurance policy
- Must pass a criminal background check, credit and substance screening
Must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Reach, kneel, bend and twist at waist, bend at knees, crouch, see, hear, touch, grasp objects, push, pull, sit
- Must be able to work indoors as well as outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Starting/ending dates flexible
- August 2017, prefer minimum 12 month commitment
- Full time – 40 hours per week
- Monday – Friday
- 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Occasional evening and weekends
- Wages: $10.00
- Field trips to public and commercial horticulture facilities, relevant local training, meetings, etc.
- Attend Holden classes and programs for free, unless materials fee applies
- Holden provides housing on site for a nominal charge ($30 per week)
- Intern is responsible for obtaining transportation
Apply Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a resume online: http://www.holdenarb.org/workwithus/
Posting Date: July 2017
Closing Date: Until Filled
Holden Forests and Gardens (Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek
skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.