Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development - Plant Pathology Laboratory
Employment type: Seasonal
Job Location: East Lansing, MI
Application Deadline: July 9, 2016
Plant Pathology Laboratory
$10.00-$13.49 per hour
July 8, 2016
August 15, 2016
East Lansing, Michigan
This position serves as support to MDARD’s pest detection programs, performing field, laboratory and logistical work that could include collecting and processing plant survey
samples and assisting with general office assistance as needed.
Tasks related to the duty
- Organize, label, sort and log samples into Excel spreadsheets or laboratory database.
- Following laboratory SOPs and/or ELISA kit manufacturer recommendations for pathogen identification.
- Prepare selective media for isolating pathogens.
- Perform ELISA assays and extract nucleic acids (DNA/RNA) from plant tissue.
- Perform general housekeeping tasks (e.g. keep an organized work area, clean glassware and equipment, file documents, maintain greenhouse facility).
Preferred Education and Experience
Currently enrolled in post-secondary educational institution with a major in a biological science or agriculture-related field (e.g. biology, microbiology, entomology, plant
pathology, medical technology, clinical laboratory sciences, or a related pure or applied science). Some laboratory experience either in a classroom environment or at another job preferred.
Email a cover letter, resume, and copy of transcripts to Elizabeth Dorman