Urban Forest Project Coordinator
Hiring Organization: Friends of Grand Rapids Parks
Employment type: Full-Time
Application Deadline: October 24, 2017
Job Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Urban Forest Coordinator
Salary Range: $32,000-$37,000
Reports to: Executive Director
Hours: Full-time (40+ hours per week), evenings and weekends as required
Position Description: Do you like parks, trees, people, and being outside? Friends of Grand Rapids Parks (FGRP) is looking to hire an awesome individual to manage and develop one of FGRP's signature programs, the Urban Forest Project (UFP). The UFP is a partnership with the City of Grand Rapids that seeks to engage the entire community in growing a larger, healthier urban forest. You'll be responsible for working with the Executive Director and other urban forest partners to continue development, building, and management our urban forestry programming through strategic partnerships, volunteer programming, special events, workshops, and neighborhood engagement.
Additional roles and responsibilities include community outreach and engagement in target neighborhoods and working with other FGRP staff to translate data and feedback from outreach efforts into recommendations for FGRP programming. Work closely with FGRP’s Executive Director and other team members to establish and maintain operation systems for the organization that increase productivity and ensure the organization’s sustainability.
Position Responsibilities: Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the items listed below. Position holder acknowledges and accepts that, while he/she is responsible for the items below, he/she may be, on occasion, asked to perform duties—within reason—outside of those listed below in order to help the organization complete a program or project, which furthers the organization’s mission.
Program Coordination: (65%) -
- Develop and manage UFP volunteer projects such as tree planting and pruning, neighborhood projects, mini-grant projects, and residential tree planting program
- Manage all aspects of projects including volunteer management, promotion of programs, site selection, tree species selection, tree bids and orders, tree delivery and placement, partner communication, obtaining permits, maintain a database of FGRP trees, and all other project needs
- Manage the Citizen Forester Program including classes, training, workshops, unique volunteer opportunities, appreciation programs, and recruitment
- Facilitate Citizen Forester projects and involvement in their neighborhood
- Continue to expand the program and increase community representation as a program of Friends of Grand Rapids Parks through innovative partnerships, grant-writing, fund-raising and learning from unique ideas in other communities.
- Consistently work to build a program maintain certifications and accreditations that brings recognition and attention to successes in Grand Rapids.
Community Engagement & Event Support: (15%)
- Collaborate with entire Friends of GR Parks team and additional committees to plan largescale annual events
- Attend community meetings or committees in the community to stay on top of key initiatives and community needs for Friends of GR Parks to advocate or activate
- Build and maintain key community relationships for programs of Friends of GR Parks
Development & Communication: (15%)
- Assist the Executive Director with development initiatives
- Assist the Executive Director with research, editing, and reporting on grants for urban forestry programming
- Help identify and assist with revenue generating projects, events, and programs
- Work with the Executive Director to help build the brand of Friends of Grand Rapids Parks and affirming that Urban Forest Project is a program of the organization
- Contribute to the strategic and timely communication campaigns including monthly emails, social media, press releases
- Create blog posts and maintain website updates for the program
Office Management: (5%)
- Check mailbox and general email account (firstname.lastname@example.org mail), replying to general phone and email inquiries where appropriate
- Provide support and assistance with entering donations into Salesforce and sending donor thank you letters when asked
- Help maintain a clean office environment
- Manage office recycling program
Other duties as assigned
- Enthusiasm and infectious positive spirit
- Ability to think strategically and have fun
- Task oriented, team focused, but can work independently
- Excellent relationship building skills with diverse populations
- Experience and knowledge about tools of the forestry trade
- Experience with budget management
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to positively represent the values and goals of Friends of Grand Rapids Parks
- Above average proficiency in Microsoft Office, Salesforce or similar database, social media platforms, Mailchimp, and Wordpress or other website program
- Has demonstrated community, volunteer, or organizational leadership qualities and experience
- Ability to work outside in a variety of weather conditions, getting dirty, performing manual labor, and otherwise supporting volunteers to accomplish great projects
- Hold a degree in forestry, landscape architecture, horticulture or a related field and have 1-3 years of demonstrated project management experience; OR have a high school diploma, significant experience in landscaping or tree care, and more than 5 years of demonstrated project management experience.
- Have ISA Certified Arborist credential or ability to obtain certification within 6 months of employment.
- Other desirables
- Nonprofit board or committee experience
- Memberships in nonprofit or professional organizations
- Active in the community
- Ability to speak Spanish
Physical Capacity Requirements: This position requires the ability to walk, speak, hear, lift and carry, finger dexterity, and visual acuity. It also requires the ability to life 10 pounds with occasional lifting of up to 40 pounds. Reasonable accommodations will be provided, if necessary, for individuals with disabilities who can perform the essential job functions of the assignment.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume, salary requirements and references as a single PDF to email@example.com with “Urban Forest Coordinator” in the subject line. Application deadline: October 24 at 5:00 P.M. EST.