Hiring Organization: Holden Arboretum
Employment type: Internship
Application Deadline: May 31, 2017
Job Location: Kirtland, OH
Internship - Sherwin Institute of Woodland Management (arboretum - 2017)
Position Title: Intern
Department: Education – Working Woods (050916)
Holden Forests and Gardens (Holden Arboretum & Cleveland Botanical Garden) has a six-(6) month internship position available in our community engagement department. The Community Forestry Intern will focus on forest management including educational offerings at Holden and across Northeast Ohio.
Outreach will focus primarily on supporting Working Woods, a sustainable forest management demonstration site located at Holden. This will be a temporary six-(6) month position providing practical experience and participation in ongoing master planning and development of model traditional, urban & community, and woodlot plots at The Holden Arboretum and in various communities.
* Reports to Community Forrester
* Works with Volunteers
* The Holden Arboretum – Kirtland, Ohio – less than 30 miles east of Cleveland.
* Encompassing more than 3,600 acres of cultivated gardens, woody plant collections and natural forested areas
* Holden Forests and Gardens is 12th largest public garden in the U.S. It is comprised of two campuses, Cleveland Botanical Garden and Holden Arboretum.
* Support the Working Woods resource center and interface with visitors
* Assist with classes focused on sustainable forest management
* Support ongoing outreach and technical instruction on tree care including planting and maintenance with diverse communities at workshops
* Support professional development classes focused on the tree care industry including certification, structural pruning, and tree worker safety
* Collaborate with Holden staff and contractors on stand delineation, documenting and treating management plots, along with improvement of site facilities
* Install and improve trails while collaborating with Holden staff or contractor oversight
* Assist with the development of interpretive signage including renovation of buildings and displays
* Current or recent Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree student/recipient in forestry, horticulture, natural resources, or urban forestry
* Strong communication and organization skills
* Interest in educational outreach and communicating the benefits and requirements of caring for trees
* Student member of the International Society of Arboriculture or Society of American Foresters beneficial but not required
* Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing (accurate and concise), to the general public and specialized professional audiences
* Ability to work in a wooded setting in varying weather conditions
* Travel by automobile as necessary to attend meeting and events
* Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required to be covered on Holden Forests & Garden’s vehicle insurance policy
* Must pass a criminal background check, credit and substance screening
Must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation:
* Ascend/descend stairs on occasion and travel by foot on unpaved or uneven terrain to transport oneself to various location on arboretum property
* Lift up to 40 pounds
* Reach, kneel, bend and twist at waist, bend at knees, crouch, see, hear, touch, grasp objects, push, pull, sit
* Ability to navigate rough or uneven terrain while performing various forestry activities
* Evening and weekend work as needed
* Six-(6) month internship
* Starting / ending dates flexible May-October 2017
* Candidates start at $10.00
* Non exempt
* Holden can provide housing, as available, for a nominal charge ($30 weekly).
* Intern is responsible for obtaining transportation.
Apply Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a resume online: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=15545671
Posting Date: February 2017
Closing Date: Until Filled
Holden Forests and Gardens (Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.