Become an Extension Master Gardener Volunteer
Qualifications for Trainees:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must pass the MSU Volunteer Selection Process (VSP) which includes a state and national criminal history and background check, provide references and successfully complete an interview.
- Have an enthusiasm for gardening.
- Be willing to commit to completing at least 40 hours of community-based volunteer service through horticulture activities.
- Posses a willingness to educate others in the community about environmentally and economically sound practices.
Steps for Becoming a MSU Extension Master Gardener
- Select a scheduled Training Location.
- Successfully complete and pay for all portions of the MSU Extension Volunteer Selection Process application, $25, and the Extension Master Gardener Course registration, $300, total $325.
- Complete the required 14-week training program.
- Within one year of successfully completing the training program, complete and report 40 hours of horticulture-based service volunteering to share research-based garden knowledge with others in your community.
- Upon certification, maintain your MSU Extension Master Gardener (EMG) volunteer status by:
- Completing and reporting annually at least 20 hours of community service and 10 hours of education.
- Completing a 3-step re-certification process.
Benefits of Becoming an Extension Master Gardener (EMG) volunteer:
- Receive research-based training and instruction on 14 major horticulture topics and environmentally sound practices.
- Have the chance to improve the quality of life and inspire others in your communities through service-based horticulture activities.
- Earn the title of certified MSU Extension Master Gardener (EMG) volunteer and receive Master Gardener Program certification and name badge.
- Enjoy access to exclusive MSU Extension Consumer Horticulture Program workshops and events. (e.g. Master Gardener College)
- Work toward additional recognition opportunities. (e.g. Advanced EMG certification and volunteer hour recognition)
If you have questions about the training and requirements please contact the person listed for the class location you are interested in participating in.
If you have general program questions, please email: email@example.com.