For Master Gardener Trainees
Participants in current Master Gardener Training Program may view the following videos to make up classes missed or review class content. Videos are password protected. Individual trainees can obtain the password for the specific training materials from their local coordinator.
MG001 Plant Science
- Part 1 Introduction to Horticulture
- Part 2 Plant Cell
- Part 3 Plant Organs
- Part 4 Plant Physiology – How Plant Work/Processes
- Part 5 Plant & Their Environment
- Part 6 Temperature
- Part 7 Plant Hormones
- Part 1 What is soil? composition & physical properties
- Part 2 Soil chemical properties (nutrients, fertilizers, pH etc.)
MG003 Annuals and Perennials
- Part 1 Planting: light, soils, design and plant selection
- Part 2 Care and maintenance: watering, mulching, weed control, rotation cover crops, bloom times, etc.
- Part 3 Herbaceous perennial examples, ornamental grasses, native plants, hardiness and hardy perennials
- Part 4 Invasive plants and plant selection
MG004 Woody Ornamentals
- Plant Type
- Site Considerations Part 1
- Site Considerations Part 2
- Physical and Ornamental Plant Characteristics
- Purchasing Plants
- Planting Woody Ornamentals
- Pruning Basics
- Pruning Guidelines
- Part 1 A year in turf: what to expect at various times of year
- Part 2 A year in turf: what to expect at various times of year
- Part 4 Mowing
- Part 5 Soils & cultivation
- Part 6 Fertilization
- Part 7 Weeds, raking & mulching
- Part 8 Pest & other things grubs, moles, dogs, etc.
MG006 Vegetable Gardening
- Part 1 Benefits of vegetable gardening, classification, warm vs cool season crops
- Part 2 Planning
- Part 3 Pre-planting preparation soil improvement, weeds, fertilization, tilling, and cover crops
- Part 4 Growing transplants at home and planting
- Part 5 Maintenance: fertilization, mulches, weed control, watering etc.
- & other things
- Growing Culinary Herbs:
MG007 Small Fruit
- Part 1 Intro, site selection, references, strawberries
- Part 2 Blueberries
- Part 3 Brambles: raspberries & blackberries
- Establishing Brambles: Planting, pruning, pests, etc.
- Part 4 Currants & Gooseberries, hardy kiwi, goji, Saskatoon/Juneberry, etc.
- , plant parts, varieties, pruning, etc.
- : the plant
MG008 Tree Fruit
- Tree Fruit Bob Tritten: http://vimeo.com/album/2367269 (New curriculum)
- Part 1 Introduction, growing systems, industry trends, rootstocks, weeds
- Part 2 Training and pruning
- and discussion of systems principles
- growing system training & pruning
- Part 6 Training peaches to vertical x or y system
- Part 7 Peaches: introduction, primarily pruning
MG009 Plant Health Care (Integrated Pest Management)
- placement, site preparation & establishment, species selection, cultural practices, & pest management strategies
- Part 2 Insects, diseases, beneficial, vertebrate pests, IPM principles, etc.
MG010 Indoor Plants
- Part 1 Arrangement, light, temperature, humidity, drainage fertilization, plant types
- A trip to the Greenhouse: propagation
MG011 Household and Nuisance Pests
- Household Pests Gretchen Voyle: http://vimeo.com/album/2282532 (New curriculum)
- Part 1 Structural, fabric & pantry pest, ants
- roaches, book lice, larder beetles, drain flies etc.
- Part 3 Summer invaders: flies, strawberry root weevil, earwigs, springtails, millipedes, etc.
- Part 4 Fall invaders: Box elder bugs, Asian lady beetle, cluster flies, grain beetles, etc.
- Part 5 Winter cutworms, stone flies, spiders, wasps
- photos etc.