New Staff Onboarding
Welcome to MSU Extension and our Professional Development resources
This page is intended for new employees, and covers how to access important information relative to their employment with MSU Extension. To begin, new employees should complete the New Staff Orientation Checklist, which is available in its fullest format, including video and other resources, in MSU's course management system, Desire2Learn (D2L). You should be able to log into D2L within days of receiving your MSU NET ID. You can get started beforehand using the PDF version.
Also, download our QUICK LINKS sheet of the most-accessed helpful weblinks.
Here are some other things you can do to get started:
- Look at the MSU Extension organization chart located on the MSU Extension Leadership page.
- Review this list of often-used acronyms to familiarize yourself with Extension-speak.
- Study the history of our mission and heritage. The sesquicentennial anniversary of the Morrill Act, passed in 1862, was in 2012. This Act marked the beginning of the land-grant system, today numbering more than 100 universities serving our nation and the world. Learn more by exploring the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities website. See especially:.
- Morrill Act Background--A page explaining the significance of this Act and the renewed commitment of Public Universities today.
- Land-grant Heritage--gives a short history of the 1862 Act, the Second Morrill Act of 1890, and the Improving America's School Act of 1994 that gave land-grant status to Native American tribal colleges.
- Review our MSU Extension and Institutes' goals.
- Finding the OD Website. Here's a helpful how-to for finding our website from the MSU Extension website.