Multidepartmental PBGB Programs
PBGB students work with the following faculty members from the MSU Departments of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences, Forestry, Horticulture, Plant Biology and Plant Pathology.
Plant Breeding, Genetics, and Biotechnology Faculty
Listed in alphabetical order by last name:
- Barry, Cornelius - Horticulture; Genetic mechanisms that control fruit ripening, ethylene biology, Solanaceae. Homepage.
- Buell, C. Robin - Plant Biology; Genomics and bioinformatics of plants and plant pathogens, Poaceae and Solanaceae. Homepage.
- Cichy, Karen - Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences; Dry bean breeding and genetics with an emphasis on seed quality, including human nutritional quality, processing quality and consumer acceptance. Homepage.
- Della Penna, Dean -Biochemistry & Molecular Biology; Integrating ‘omics technologies with molecular genetics and analytical chemistry in model systems to target previously recalcitrant areas at the interface of basic plant biochemistry and human health. Homepage
- Douches, Dave - Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences; Potato breeding and genetics, insect and disease resistance, integration of genetic engineering, use of wild species. Homepage.
- Edger, Patrick - Horticulture; Small fruit genomics. Homepage.
- Epperson, Bryan - Forestry; Theoretical population genetics, studies of structure and function of genomic diversity, spatial statistics and coalescence theory. Homepage.
- Freed, Russell - Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences; International research development; Oat and barley genetics/breeding for disease and insect resistance, grain quality, lodging, and yield. Homepage.
- Grumet, Rebecca - Horticulture; Plant-virus interactions, sex expression in cucurbits, cucurbit transformation. Homepage.
- Hammerschmidt, Ray - Plant Pathology; Physiology and biochemistry of resistance and disease; induced resistance. Homepage.
- Han, Kyug-Hwan - Forestry; Metabolic engineering of plant species. Incorporation of molecular biology techniques into tree improvement programs. Homepage.
- Hancock, Jim - Horticulture; Blueberry and strawberry breeding, polyploid evolution and QTL analysis of day-neutrality in strawberry. Homepage.
- Hollender, Courtney - Horticulture; Molecular Genetics, Plant Development, Tree Physiology
- Iezzoni, Amy - Horticulture; Cherry breeding and genetics: disease resistance, comparative mapping and polyploid evolution. Homepage.
- Jiang, Jiming - Horticulture; Plant gene expression and regulation induced by environmental stresses, including heat, cold, and drought; Epigenetic mechanisms associated with plant centromere function; Genetics, genomics, and epigenomics of potato and other crop species. Homepage.
- Jiang, Ning - Horticulture; Function of transposable elements (TEs) in eukaryotic genome diversification. Homepage.
- Kelly, Jim - Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences; Dry bean breeding and genetics, marker assisted selection for disease resistance and stress tolerance. Homepage.
- Last, Robert - Biochemistry & Molecular Biology; Our group uses genetic, genomic and biochemical approaches to understand the regulation of biosynthetic pathways of importance to flowering plants and the animals that depend on plants for sustenance. Homepage
- Loescher, Wayne - Horticulture; Physiology, biochemistry, and molecular biology of carbohydrate partitioning and transport, cell wall metabolism, and abiotic stress tolerance mechanisms. Homepage.
- Maredia, Karim M. – Institute of International AgricultureEnvironmental and food biosafety in developing countries; intellectual property issues. Homepage.
- McGrath, Mitch - Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences; Sugar beet breeding and genetics including use of wild species; application of molecular markers to dissect the beet genome and the genetics of agronomic traits. Homepage.
- Eric Olson - Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences; Wheat breeding and genetics, selection for disease resistance and stress tolerance. Profile Page - Wheat Variety Trials
- Shiu, Shin-Han- Department of Plant Biology; Understand the molecular basis of adaptations via studying the molecular evolutionary patterns of plant genes. The evolutionary history and functional differentiation between duplicate genes. Homepage.
- Song, Guo-qing-Horticulture; Plant transformation systems in blueberry, celery and dry bean. Homepage.
- Sundin, George - Plant Pathology; Plant Pathology, phytobacteriology, bacterial diseases, tree fruit. Homepage.
- Thomashow, Mike - MSU-DOE Plant Resarch Laboratory; Molecular genetic basis of plant freezing tolerance; low temperature gene regulation and signal transduction. Homepage.
- Thompson, Addie - Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences; Maize genetics and genomics, and understanding the biological basis for how different genotypes grow in different environments. Broad areas of interest include quantitative genetics, plant morphology, drought stress and high-throughput phenotyping.Homepage.
- VanNocker, Steven - Horticulture; Molecular biology and genetics of phase change and flowering. Homepage.
- Wang, Dechun - Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences; Soybean breeding and genetics, disease and insect resistance, QTL mapping, soybean genomics. Homepage.
- Warner, Ryan - Horticulture; Environmental stress tolerance, increasing efficiency of greenhouse crop production. Homepage.
- Weebadde, Cholani - Horticulture; Associate Director, World Technology Access Program (WorldTAP) Homepage.