Ph.D., 1959. Ohio State University
M.S., 1955. Ohio State University
B.S., 1943. Ohio State University
Professor Emeritus Harold J. Ecker was raised on 120 acre general farm in Ohio. Following undergraduate studies at Ohio State University, over the period 1943 to 1946 he was a pilot (and taught celestrial navigation) in WW II in the U.S. Navy. From 1946 to 1954 he was co-owner and manager of Smith Farms Popcorn Co., Fostoria, Ohio - a processing and sales organization handling up to one million pounds of popcorn annually. He was also manager a 300 acre Ohio farm. In 1954 to 1955 he was recalled to active duty in the U.S. Navy and served as flight and ground school instructor at N.A.S., Pensacola, FL. He received a medical retirement in 1955 due to loss of hearing in right ear.
Following his graduate work at Ohio State University, from 1959 to 1965 he was Associate Professor, Department of Agricultural Economics and Coordinator of the Elevator and Farm Supply Program in the Institute of Agricultural Technology at Michigan State University. From 1965 to 1966 he was Professor and Coordinator of Agricultural Industry programs in the Institute of Agricultural Technology. Responsibilities included: promotion activities for all agricultural industry programs; teaching courses in marketing and business; advisor for students in the Elevator and Farm Supply Program. He later became Director of the Institute of Agricultural Technology (formerly Short Couse Department) at Michigan State University. Responsibilities include: program development; staffing; budget preparation and control; promotion activities; preparation of grant proposals; and supervision of staff and office personnel. Under his leadership the number of programs increased from 6 to 10. Student numbers increased from 350 to 450.
State Farmer Degree - 1940
Alpha Gamma Rho Fraternity
Gamma Sigma Delta - Agricultural Honorary
Danforth Associate on the M.S.U. Campus 1959-63
American Men of Science