Lynn R. Harvey
Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics
Former Chair, Professor Emeritus, and State and Local Government Extension AgentAEC/AFRE Faculty, 1968 to 2007
Ph.D., 1989. Michigan State University
M.S., 1978. Michigan State University
B.S., 1969. Michigan State University
- John Hannah Award for Program Excellence. 1989.
- 4 H Centenial Award - Harvey. 2002
- Farm Foundation – Harvey Bio Listing
Lynn R. Harvey, Professor Emeritus and Extension Specialist in the Department of Agricultural, Food and Resource Economics at Michigan State University.
“The skills that 4-H imparted that have been most important in my life and career were organization and meeting management. Little did I know 50 years ago that learning how to conduct meetings, organize tasks and building consensus would become daily used skills in my career at Michigan State University.”
Lynn Harvey retired from Michigan State University in 2007 after a 39 year career with MSU Extension and the Department of Agricultural, Food and Resource Economics. During his tenure at MSU he was recognized as one of the most knowledgeable specialists in in the areas of state and local government and was frequently called upon by the local government associations, the Michigan Legislature, counties and municipalities, and the media to provide expert witness on a variety of topics. For 33 of his 39 years at MSU, he worked with public officials in the areas of public finance, county and municipal budgeting, property tax administration and intergovernmental contracting and consolidation. He was co-author of the John Hannah Award-winning county commissioner training program that served as a national training model. In addition to his faculty and extension specialist role, he served as acting chair for one year for the Department of Agricultural Economics and two years as Associate Director of MSU Extension. Since his retirement he has maintained an active local government consulting business.
Harvey’s community service includes six years (two as a board chair) as a member of the board of directors of St. Vincent’s Catholic Charities in Lansing and was instrumental in raising funds for a new St. Vincent’s Home for Children. He is also an active member of the East Lansing Kiwanis Club. He and his wife Mary are members of the MSU‘s Hannah Society, supporting the Michigan 4-H Children’s Garden, the WKAR Radio Talking Book Program, WKAR TV and MSU Wharton Center.
- Use-Value Assessment of Agricultural Lands
- Revenue-Expenditure Trends in Michigan County Government
- Conditional Transfer Agreements for Economic Development
- City Consolidation: Case Study of Two Cities and Village in Iron County, Michigan
- View list of advisees and respective theses/dissertations topics
- Selected publications, many downloadable
- Historical Insights – Harvey’s State & Local Government Information Website (1995)
- Barry County Financial Analysis and Forecast Report. January 2011. By Nicole Bradshaw, Lynn Harvey and Christina Plerhoples. State and Local Government Program, Michigan State University
- Calhoun County Strategic Plan Review and Update. June 2007. By Lynn R. Harvey and Kenneth VerBurg
- The Task Force on Local Government Services and Fiscal Stability: Final Report to the Governor of The State of Michigan. May 2006. Lynn Harvey, Task Force Senior Advisor
- The Conditional Land Transfer Act: Research, Reflections and Policy Recommendations. 2005. Gary D. Taylor, Lynn R. Harvey and William Shields. MSU
- State and local government projects - Historical Insights – Harvey’s State & Local Government Information Website(1995)