Through the collaborative research projects in Asia, IPM packages have been developed for important food security crops in Central Asia. The research project on home gardens has generated new knowledge on the critical role the home gardens play in enhancing food security in developing countries. The research project on biotechnology has identified knowledge gap among various stakeholders.
Current assignment: International Outreach 50% | Project Management 50%
Most of my teaching is in the form of development, coordination and implementation of international short courses in diverse areas of agriculture including Integrated Pest Management, Agricultural Biotechnology, Biosafety, Food Safety, Intellectual Property Management and Technology Transfer. These short courses are offered at MSU and in international settings under the World Technology Access Program (WorldTAP) of College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. These interdisciplinary short courses are taught by several faculty members across various departments and colleges at MSU. Strong collaborations have been developed with other universities, government agencies and private institutions/companies in the U.S. and globally to implement these programs.
My involvement in research is through coordination of international collaborative research projects in IPM, agricultural biotechnology, and food security. I serve as a member of various interdisciplinary research teams.
My extension/outreach activities are in the area of international development. During the past five years, I have been engaged in outreach activities through international projects funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID, USDA-FAS, and Mead Johnson Company encompassing areas of Agricultural Biotechnology, Biosafety, Food Safety, and Integrated Pest Management. The outreach activities implemented through these projects cover diverse stakeholders in more than 15 developing countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
- Food Security
- Integrated Pest Management
- Agricultural Biotechnology
- 2004-Present - Professor, Dept. of Entomology, Michigan State University
- 1995-2003 - Associate Professor, Dept. of Entomology, Michigan State University
- 1993-1994 - Assistant Professor, Dept of Entomology, Michigan State University
- 1989-1992 - Research Associate, Department of Entomology, Michigan State University
- 1986-1989 - Research Assistant, Maize Program, CIMMYT, Mexico
- Dilshani Sarathchandra and Karim M. Maredia. 2014. An International Short Course for Training Professionals as Effective Science Communicators. Journal of Extension. Volume 52, Number 5, Tools of the Trade 5TOT7.
- Karim Maredia, Callista Rakhmatov and Tom Herlache. 2014. Technology Transfer and Commercialization Policies and Practices at Michigan State University. Handbook on Technology Transfer and Commercialization: Experiences of India and U.S., World Technology Access Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, U.S.A.
- Moualhi, I., Galhena, D.H., Maredia, K. and Weebadde, C., 2014. Perceptions of non-Europeans on Biotechnology in Europe: Bridging the Knowledge Gap. Asian Biotechnology Review, Vol. 16, No.2, pp 61-70.
- Dilrukshi Hashini Galhena, R.K.P. Singh, and Karim Maredia. 2014. Enhancing Agricultural Production and Food Security in Bihar, India. WorldTAP Policy Brief 5, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, USA.
- Galhena, D.H., Freed, R., Maredia, K.M. and Mikunthan, G., 2013. Home Gardens: a Promising Approach to Enhance Household Food security and Wellbeing. Journal of Agriculture and Food Security, 2(8): 1-13.
- Galhena, D.H., Freed, R., Maredia, K.M., Mikunthan, G., Guenthner, J. and Racioppi, L., 2013. Innovative Approaches to Enhance Home Gardens for Improved Food Security, Nutrition, and Livelihoods in Sri Lanka. In review process by the Sri Lanka Journal of Social Sciences.
- Karim Maredia, Nanda Joshi and Katherine Fedder. 2013. Best Practices in Food Safety Implementation. WorldTAP Policy Brief 3, March 2013, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, USA.
- Karim Maredia and Callista Rakhmatov. 2013. Training and Capacity Building in Intellectual Property Management and Technology Transfer in the Global Arena. Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Management of Technology, Porto Alegre, Brazil, April 14 – 18, 2013.
- Chimwemwe F. Chamdimba. Aggrey J. Ambali, Karim M. Maredia. 2013. Science, Technology, and Innovation Strategy for Africa’s Economic Transformation. Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Management of Technology, Porto Alegre, Brazil, April 14 – 18, 2013.
- Mysore, S., Galhena, D.H. and Maredia, K.M. 2013. Technology Transfer and Commercialization in Agriculture: shifting paradigms, experiences and expectations of developing countries. Proceeding of 22nd International Conference on Management of Technology, Porto Alegre, Brazil, April 14 - 18, 2013