Kirk Dolan has joint appointments in Department of Food Science & Human Nutrition (lead), and Department of Biosystems & Agricultural Engineering. His research is on modeling thermal processing of foods (canning, drying, aseptic, etc.), and on inverse problems and parameter estimation. His research group is a leading user of MATLAB with COMSOL for parameter estimation, and has demonstrated new statistical analysis methods for food researchers. He is the chairman and organizer of the triennial Inverse Problems Symposia at Michigan State University. His extension work includes organizing and co-teaching the FDA-mandated Better Process Control School for certification, co-teaching an annual HACCP course to industry, and assisting Michigan food entrepreneurs with FDA product registration.
- BE 477 Fluids
- FSC 420 Quality Assurance
- BE 835 Modeling Methods in Biosystems Engineering
Ph.D. Agricultural Engineering, Michigan St. Univ. 1989.
M.S. Agricultural Engineering, U. of California, Davis. 1985.
B.S. Agricultural Engineering, U. of Florida, Gainesville, FL 1983
- Sogi DS, Siddiq M., Dolan, K.D. 2015. Total phenolics, carotenoids and antioxidant properties of Tommy Atkin mango cubes as affected by drying techniques LWT--Food Sci & Technol
- Greiby, I., Mishra, D.K., Dolan, K.D. 2014. Inverse method to sequentially estimate temperature-dependent thermal conductivity of cherry pomace during non-isothermal heating. J. Food Eng. 127: 16-23.
- Feng, X. Tang, Y., Dolan, K.D. 2014. Construction of a parsimonious kinetic model to capture microbial dynamics via parameter estimation. Inverse Problems in Science & Engineering. 22(2): 309-324.
- Siddiq M, Harte JB, Beaudry RM, Dolan, K.D., Singh, S.P., Saha K. 2014. Physicochemical properties of whole fruit and sensory quality of fresh-cut apples pre-treated with 1-methylcyclopropene (1-MCP). Intl J Food Properties 17(5): 1081-1092.
- Sogi DS, Siddiq M, Greiby, I., Dolan KD. 2013. Total phenolics, antioxidant activity, and functional properties of ‘Tommy Atkins’ mango peel and kernel as affected by drying methods. Food Chemistry. 141(3): 2649-2655.
- Siddiq, M., Roidoung, S., Sogi, D.S., Dolan, K.D. 2013. Total phenolics, antioxidant properties and quality of fresh-cut onions (Allium cepa L.) treated with mild heat. Food Chem. 136(2): 803-806.
- Aleid, S.M., Dolan, K., Siddiq, M., Jeong, S., Marks, B. 2013. Effect of low-energy X-ray irradiation on physical, chemical textural and sensory properties of dates. Int. J. Food Sci. and Tech. 48(7): 1453-1459.
- Dolan, K.D., Mishra, D.K. 2013. Parameter estimation in food science. Annual Reviews in Food Science & Technology. 4: 401-422.
- Greiby, I., Kelkar, S., Siddiq, M., Dolan, K.D. 2013. Effect of non-isothermal processing and moisture content on the anthocyanin degradation and colour kinetics of cherry pomace. Intern J. Food Sci & Tech. 48(5): 992-998.
- Siddiq M., Sogi D.S., Dolan K.D. 2013. Antioxidant properties, total phenolics, and quality of fresh-cut 'Tommy Atkins' mangoes as affected by different pre-treatments. LWT— Food Sci & Technol 53(1): 156-162.
- Siddiq M, Kelkar S, Harte JB, Dolan KD, Nyombaire G. 2013. Functional Properties of Flour from Low-Temperature Extruded Navy and Pinto Beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). LWT--Food Sci & Technol 50(1): 215-219.
- Sulaiman, R., Dolan, K.D., Mishra, D.K. 2013. Simultaneous and Sequential Estimation of Kinetic Parameters in a Starch Viscosity Model. J Food Eng. 114(3):313-322.
- Sulaiman, R., Dolan, K.D. 2013. Effect of amylose content on estimated kinetic parameters for a starch viscosity model. J. Food Eng. 114(1):75-82.
- Dolan, K.D., Valdramidis, V.P., Mishra, D.K. 2013. Parameter estimation for dynamic microbial inactivation: which model, which precision? Food Control 29:(2): 401-408.
- Matella, N.J., Mishra, D.K., Dolan, K. D. 2012. Chapter 6: Hydration, blanching, and thermal processing of dry beans. In M. Siddiq and M. A. Uebersax (Eds.), Dry Beans and Pulses Production, Processing and Nutrition: Wiley-Blackwell, Ames, Iowa.
- Ahmed, Jasim, Dolan, Kirk D., Mishra, Dharmendra K. 2012. Chapter 6: Chemical Reaction Kinetics Pertaining to Foods. In Handbook of Food Process Design Blackwell-Wiley.
- Dolan, K. D., & Mishra, D. K. (2012). Chapter 7: Parameter Identification Under Dynamic Temperature Conditions in Inactivation Kinetics. In V. P. Valdramidis & J. F. Van Impe (Eds.), Progress on Quantitative Approaches of Thermal Food Processing: Nova Science Publishers.