Donald C. Mead
Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics
Professor EmeritusAEC/AFRE Faculty, 1979 to 1998
Ph.D., 1962. Yale University
M.S., 1957. Yale University
B.S., 1956. Haverford College
Mead Biographical Information
Professor Emeritus Mead joined MSU as a Professor of Agricultural Economics in 1979 and worked until retirement in 1998, with primary emphasis on international economic development..
Areas of research interest.
- Linkages between large and small enterprises.
- Patterns of growth of small and medium-sized businesses.
- Project and policy needs of small enterprises.
- Institutional structures for the promotion of small enterprises.
- Patterns of employment growth among enterprises of different types and sizes.
- Alternative mechanisms for linking small enterprises to the rest of the economy.
- View Mead Publications and Citations at
- View Mead Publications access statistics at .
- Selected publications, many downloadable
- The Contribution of Small Enterprises to Employment Growth in Southern and Eastern Africa. 1994. By Donald C. Mead. World Development Vol. 22, No. 12.
- Of Contracts and Subcontracts: Small Firms in Vertically Dis-integrated Production/Distribution Systems in LDCs. 1984. By Donald C. Mead. World Development Vol. 12, No.11/12.
- The Dynamics of Micro and Small Enterprises in Developing Countries. 1998.. By Carl Liedlholm and Donald C. Mead. World Development. Vol. 26, No. 1.
- Subsector analysis: Its Nature, Conduct and Potential Contribution to Small Enterprise Development. 1986. by James J. Boomgard, Stephen P. Davies, Steve Haggblade and Donald C. Mead.
- Reviews of the impact of research and outreach on small and microenterprise development.
- Experiments in Small- and Microenterprise Development. 1989. AID Science and Technology in Development Series.
- USAID’s Key Achievements in Rural Enterprise Development. 2011. USAID Evaluation Document (documenting effects of long-term research and outreach on small enterprise development efforts).
- USAID’s Legacy in Agricultural Development - 50 Years of Progress. 2013. A review of the most salient achievements in USAID’s investments in agricultural development over the past 50 years.
- Small Enterprises and Economic Development: The Dynamics of Micro and Small Entriprises. 1999. By Carl E. Liedholm and Donald C. Mead
- Building Businesses with Small Producers: 2002. Successful Business Development Services in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. By Sunita Kapila and Donald C. Mead
- Rural off-Farm Employment Research Project in Thailand. 1983. By Narongchai Akrasanee, Tongroj Onchan, Yongyuth Chalamwong, Pradit Charsombut, Somsak Tambunlertchai And Chamlong Atikul. Bangkok, Thailand.
- The Impact of Laws and Regulations on Micro and Small Enterprises in Niger and Swaziland. 1992. by Isabelle Joumard, Carl Liedholm and Donald Mead. OECD Development Centre Working Paper No. 77.
- GEMINI Action Research Program I Final Report. The Dynamic Role of Micro and Small Enterprises in the Development Process. 1995. by Carl Liedholm and Donald C. Mead
- Transforming the Rural Nonfarm Economy: Opportunities and Threats in the Developing World. 2007. Edited By Steven Haggblade, Peter B. R. Hazell, and Thomas Reardon
- Thai Silk Subsector Video. GEMINI Project
- MSU International Development Papers. 1982 - Current
- MSU International Development Working Papers. 1982- Current
- Rural Non-Farm Assessment Project Research Paper No. 1. Bangkok, Thailand: Center for Applied Economics Research, Kasetsart University.
- Publications of the Thailand Rural Off-Farm Employment Assessment Project
- Rwanda Project In-Country Papers
- GEMINI Working Papers
- GEMINI Technical Papers
- Employment and Enterprise Policy Analysis Project Discussion Papers