- Ph.D., Horticulture, University of Georgia, 2012
- M.S., Food Science and Technology, 2008
- B.S., Food Science and Technology, Chungbuk National University, South Korea, 2005
- Postdoctoral Associate, Food Science (The U of A Sensory Service Center & Rice Processing Program), University of Arkansas: 2012-2015
- Assistant Professor, Food Science and Human Nutrition, MSU: 2015-present
Combine sensory evaluation with flavor chemistry and physicochemical analysis (GC-MS, GC-Olfactometry, texture, color, etc.) for better understanding of food and consumers; understand sensory perception associated to environmental and psychological factors; measure sensory perception in relation to consumer behavior; develop innovative food products; integrate sensory and consumer sciences in health and wellness
- FSC 470 – Food Product Development
- FSC 410 – Sensory Analysis and Consumer Research
Through the MSU Product Center for Food-Ag-Bio, assist Michigan food industry and entrepreneurs by providing information, testing services (sensory evaluation, nutritional labels, pH, and water activity), referrals for food product development, sensory evaluation. Work to establish new value-added products, quality evaluation of food safety treatments for food industry. Products include but are not limited to: asparagus, autumn berries, chestnuts, cherry juice concentrate, fresh cut fruit and vegetables, hard apple cider blends and juice blends and processed meat products. Provide research results to professional and commodity groups through reports and presentations.
- Cho, S., Yoon, S.H., Min, J., Lee, S., Tokar, T., Lee, S.-O., Seo, H.-S. 2015. Variation in U.S. consumer acceptability of Korean rice cake, Seolgitteok, with respect to sensory attributes and nonsensory factors. Journal of Food Science. (published online, December 7, 2015). doi: 10.1111/1750-3841.13153.
- Yang, F., Cho, S., Seo, S.-H. 2015. Effects of light color on consumers’ acceptability and their willingness to eat apples and bell peppers. Journal of Sensory Studies. (published online, November 25, 2015). doi: 10.1111/joss.12183.
- Roodriguez-Arzuaga, M., Cho, S., Billiris. M., Siebenmorgen, T.J., Seo, H.-S. 2015. Impacts of degree of milling on the appearance and aroma characteristics of raw rice. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. (published online, October 30, 2015). doi: 10.1002/jsfa.7471.
- Rayaprolu, S., Hettiarachchy, N., Aldoury, M., Cho, S., Moseley, D., Chen, P. 2015. Physical and textural attributes of freeze-dried genetically modified and non-genetically modified soy beans. Journal of Food Nutrition Sciences. 3, 119–125.
- Cho, S., Han, A., Taylor, M.H., Huck, A.C., Mishler, A.M., Mattal, K. L., Barker, C., Seo, H.-S. 2015. Blue lighting decreases the amount of food consumed in men, but not in women. Appetite. 85, 111–117.
- Cho, S., Yoon, S.H., Min, J., Lee, S., Lee, S.-O., Tokar, T., Seo, H.-S. 2014. Sensory characteristics of Seolgitteok (Korean rice cake) in relation to the addition levels of brown rice flour and sugar. Journal of Sensory Studies. 29, 371–383.
- Hasenbeck, A., Cho, S., Meullenet, J.-F., Tokar, T., Yang, F., Huddleston, E.A., Seo, H.-S.(Hasenbek and Cho are co-first authors). 2014. Color and illuminance level of lighting can modulate willingness to eat bell peppers. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 94, 2049–2056. doi: 10.1002/jsfa.6523.
- Cho, S., Nuijten, E., Shewfelt, R.L., Kays, S.J. 2014. Aroma chemistry of African Oryza glaberrima and Oryza sativa rice and their interspecific hybrids. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 94, 727–735. doi: 10.1002/jsfa.6329.
- Seo, H.-S., Lee, S., Cho, S. 2013. Relationships between personality traits and attitudes toward a sense of smell. Frontiers. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00901.
- Cho, S., Kays, S.J. 2013. Aroma-active compounds of wild rice (Zizania palustris L.). Food Research International. 54, 1463–1470.
- Cho, S., Choi, Y., Lee, J., Eitenmiller, R.R. 2010. Optimization of enzyme extractions for total folate in cereals using response surface methodology. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 58, 10781–10786.