Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics
Assistant Professor446 W. Circle, Dr., Rm 213E
Morrill Hall of Agriculture
East Lansing MI 48824
Ph.D., Parthenope University of Naples
B.S., Parthenope University of Naples
Dr. Caputo is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics, appointed in the tenure system. Prior to this appointment, she was Assistant Professor in the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics at Korea University, Seoul, South Korea (2013-2016), a Research Associate in the Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness, University of Arkansas, USA (2012-2013), and a Post-doctoral Researcher in the Department of Agricultural Sciences (DIPSA) at the University of Bologna Alma Mater Studiorum, Italy (2010-2012).
Dr. Caputo’s research incorporates insights from experimental and behavioral economics to explain consumers’ food purchase decisions and choice. Her current research includes empirical issues such as consumer preferences and willingness to pay for different food labeling programs (e.g. organic labels, food miles, geographical indication labels, nutritional labels, health claims, etc.) and novel products as well as methodological issues related to attribute non-attendance in food choice, reference price, information effects, commitment costs, time pressure, risk and time preferences.
In the last 5 years she has presented her research works in several international conferences and published peer reviewed papers in several scientific journals including Food Policy, Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resources Economics, Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Ecological Economics, Journal of Consumers Affairs, Food Quality and Preferences,International Journal of Consumers Studies, etc.
Research and Outreach Interests
- Consumer choice behavior
- Food marketing
- Experimental Economics
- View theses and dissertations written by Dr. Caputo advisees (student names will appear as Dr. Caputo advises students at MSU)
- Students advised at Korea University
- Yun Hyun-jeong – Master (Korea University), supervisor
- Elisa De Marchi – PhD (University of Milan), co-supervisor
- Claudia Bazzani - PhD (University of Bologna), co-supervisor
- Teaching experience at Korea University:
- Market and Economy (LESE – 153) – Department of Food and Resources Economics, Korea University – Undergraduate program.
- Uncertainty in Economics (NRD – 642) – Department of Food and Resources Economics, Korea University –Graduate program.
- Economics of Food Safety (LESE- 326) - Department of Food and Resources Economics, Korea University - Undergraduate program.
- Economics of Food Safety (NRD - 675) - Department of Food and Resources Economics, Korea University - PhD program.
- Statistic for Economists (LESE-326) - Department of Food and Resources Economics, Korea University – Undergraduate program.
- Advanced Microeconomic Analysis (NRD 507) - Department of Food and Resources Economics, Korea University – PhD program.