Michigan Sugarbeet Industry Research Priorities
Sugarbeet Advancement Committee
GENERAL EMPHASIS: Researching, understanding, and integrating all production aspects that will improve Sugar beet quality and profitability.
Disease and Pest Management
- Managing root diseases with special emphasis on Rhizoctonia crown rot and Aphanomycetes.
- Managing Cercospora leaf spot foliar disease.
- Understand and manipulate soil biology and food web structure to improve soil health and long term viability.
- Reduce impact and manage sugar beet cyst nematode to improve profitability of beet production.
- Reduce and manage tare soil to minimize field contamination of pest.
Soil Fertility Management
- Improve nitrogen management of sugarbeets for optimum yield, quality, and development of a reliable soil nitrogen prediction test.
- Research and understand utilization of manure and cover crops and their effects on root yield and quality.
- Agronomic practices associated with improving weed control.
- Weed management issues associated with Round-up Ready sugar beets.
- Glyphosate/fungicide/additive compatibility and interaction.
- Evaluation of new herbicides.
- Impact of scalping/topping on quality and storage of sugar beets.
- Impact of storage related to varieties respiration, disease, and nutrient uptake.
Last Updated: November 2012