4-H Sportsmanship Activity: Sportsmanship Role Play
March 29, 2017
Demonstrating good sportsmanship
- Compare good and bad sportsmanship
- Recognize the behaviors associated with good and bad sportsmanship
- Describe the importance of good sportsmanship
- Role Play Scenarios handout (available in PDF file)
Before the youth arrive, the leader can use scissors to cut apart the Role Play Scenarios handout on the dotted lines.
Leader should choose one (or more) scenarios from the Role Play Scenarios handout. Each scenario will require at least two youth to role play (one side will model good sportsmanship while the other will model poor sportsmanship). After giving each youth their portion of the scenario, they should be allowed approximately five minutes to prepare for the role play. Reflection questions should follow each role play.
- Did you feel comfortable in your position in the role-play scenario?
- How do you think you would have acted naturally if you encountered that scenario?
- Does this activity make you think differently about how you model good sportsmanship?
- How can you apply good sportsmanship in your everyday life?
- What situations make it difficult to apply good sportsmanship?
Tags: 4-h animal evaluation, 4-h companion animals, 4-h dairy cattle, 4-h goats, 4-h horses & ponies, 4-h poultry, 4-h rabbits & cavies, 4-h swine production & management, animal science, healthy youth, life skills
Related Topic Areas
4-H Animal Science, 4-H Animal Evaluation, 4-H Companion Animals, 4-H Dairy Cattle Production & Management, 4-H Goat Production & Management, 4-H Horses & Ponies, 4-H Poultry Production & Management, 4-H Rabbits & Cavies, 4-H Swine Production & Management, 4-H Healthy Youth, 4-H Life Skills
Michigan State University Extension