Michigan Fresh Recipe: Pear Party Salsa
September 9, 2016
Honey is a great natural sweetener to add to any of your favorite dishes. It contains throat-soothing properties and nutrients that give you energy.
Michigan State University Extension provides education that helps people buy and prepare healthy, budget-friendly foods as well as live a balanced, healthy lifestyle.
Because honey is sweeter than sugar, use less of it for the same sweet taste. Honey is full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, making it not only a great natural source of energy but also a boost for your immune system.
Pollination occurs when bees fly from flower to flower, helping fruits and vegetables to reproduce. Farmers markets often obtain honey from bees that pollinate local crops.
Much of the honey you buy from the supermarket is highly filtered to give it a clear appearance. Read the label to find out where the honey comes from and whether it is 100 percent pure honey.
Pear Party Salsa
Makes 4 Servings
- 1 pear, cored and finely chopped
- 1 apple, cored and finely chopped
- 2 kiwifruit, cored and finely chopped
- 1 orange, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- cinnamon graham crackers (optional)
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine pear, apple, kiwi and orange.
- Pour honey and lemon juice over fruit, and gently toss.
- Scoop up bites of fruit salsa using cinnamon graham crackers (optional).
Tags: michigan fresh