Application Deadline: December 12, 2017
What is the Scholarship?
The Association of Grand Rapids Landscape Professionals (AGRLP) Scholarship was created to aid students from the greater Grand Rapids area who seek a career in horticulture. AGRLP considers student scholarships an important commitment we can make to the future of our industry.
Criteria for Eligibility
- Applicant must be enrolled at a University or College, in a two or four year horticulture program (landscape, lawn maintenance, retail garden center, arboriculture, grower) or business program.
- Applicant must have a 2.25 grade point average based on a 4.0 scale.
- Student must show sincere interest in the green industry in either the field or business operations side of a company (landscape, lawn maintenance, retail garden center, arboriculture, and grower) as evidenced by related work experience.
- Applicant should show evidence of leadership as exhibited by extra curricular activities.
- Applicant has a desire to pursue professional or business opportunities within a nursery, garden center, landscape contracting, tree service and / or landscape management company or agency is necessary.
- Preference will be given to an applicant who plans to be employed in the greater Grand Rapids area after graduation. Preference will also be given to students with financial need.
- Applicant must reside in the Grand Rapids area.
- Applicant must be carrying at least 6 credit hours, at the time the scholarship is awarded.
- Applicant must be sponsored by an AGRLP member.
P.O. Box 455
Grandville, MI 49468
Phone: (616) 531-1370
Fax: (616) 531-1371
Student’s Name: _____________________________________________________
Student’s Full Address: ________________________________________________
Student’s Home Phone: ______________ Student’s School Phone: _____________
E-mail ____________________________ Major: ____________________________
Standing as of coming semester (circle one): Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior.
Are you currently receiving any financial aid (including scholarships)?____ yes ____ no
if so, what kind ________________________________ Amount ________________
AGRLP Sponsor Signature: _____________________________________________
Include with Application the following:
- A cover letter which should include:
A. Experiences or factors that stimulated your interest in your present major.
B. Your plans after graduation.
- A one page resume of your background, employment history, and education.
- An official transcript of your grades.
Provide two letters of recommendation under separate cover, preferably, one from a faculty member and one from a former or current employer.
I, ________________________________________________ intend to continue in the Green Industry upon my completion of my 2 or 4 year horticultural degree.
Deadline for Application December 12, 2017
This agreement is entered into the ____ day of _________________, 20_____ between the Association of Grand Rapids Landscape Professionals and _____________________________.
AGRLP intends to establish a scholarship fund to benefit worthy and capable students enrolled at Michigan State, Ferris State, Grand Rapids Community College,
and Lansing Community College, who are interested in careers in the landscape horticulture industry.
This award is intended to encourage students in baccalaureate programs and in the Institute of Agricultural Technology who have demonstrated the capacity to achieve
these goals and the initiative to seek opportunities to further their progress in the nursery and landscape industry. The purpose of this agreement is to describe the terms and conditions under which this scholarship program shall be administered.
The Agreement is as follows:
- The funds are to be administered annually by AGRLP under the title Association of Grand Rapids Landscape Professionals Scholarship.
- The recipient shall be selected by the AGRLP Scholarship Committee.
- AGRLP Scholarship Award will be awarded at the February AGRLP Banquet. 2 - $1,000.00
- If, in a given year, there is no eligible applicant for the scholarship as described in the Criteria for Eligibility, the amount that was to be awarded would be held for awards in subsequent years. Should a recipient become ineligible for any reason, the amount may be awarded to an alternate applicant who meets the criteria, or held for awards in future years.
- In no year will AGRLP contribution exceed its maximum financial commitment, as set forth in paragraph 3.
In Witness whereof, the parties hereto have executed this Agreement on the day and date stated, agreeing on the general rules and regulations of this AGRLP Scholarship.
Student Signature Student Printed Name
Association of Grand Rapids Landscape Professionals