Online or web accessibility is the inclusive practice of removing barriers to ensure that everyone has equal access to perceive, understand, engage, navigate, and interact with all online content including websites, web applications, online documents (Word, PDF, etc.), and online course materials.
An online document or tool is considered accessible when it can be easily understood and used by everyone, regardless of the browser or assistive technology being used.
5 Year Plan
The College of Agriculture and Natural Resources has submitted a 5 Year Accessibility Plan as required by MSU, which lays out our roadmap for accessibility compliance.
The Importance of Accessibility
The Internet has become an increasingly important resource for all areas of life, including education. Michigan State University is committed to ensuring that the diverse audience we serve is provided with accessible websites and documents in the classroom, workplace, research labs, and places for recreation.
As such, we are striving toward compliance with the Web Accessibility Policy set forth by MSU.
MSU has developed a web accessibility website to act as a central location for university resources regarding accessibility including a basic checklist for online content accessibility. The basic checklist serves as a starting point for understanding accessibility and beginning to review your online content for compliance with MSU’s Web Accessibility Policy.
MSU has also developed several tutorials, trainings, and resources for website, course, and document accessibility including a syllabus template for those posting their syllabus online or in Desire2Learn.
Online MSU/CANR/MSUE Accessibility Resources
- MSU Web Accessibility
- MSU Basic Accessibility Checklist
- MSU Accessibility Tutorials
- MSU Accessibility Templates
- MSU Accessibility Help and Resources
- MSU Accessibility Evaluation and Validation Tools
- MSU Instructor Led and Self-Paced Trainings, Classes, and Workshops
- Ordering and Editing Machine Captions Using MSU MediaSpace
- Video - The Importance of Accessibility Part I by Gwyn Shelle
- Video - The Importance of Accessibility Part II by Gwyn Shelle
Online Accessibility Videos and Trainings (External)
- Making Your Website Accessible by Extension
- Demystifying WCAG 2.0: An Intro to Web, Office, InDesign, PDF Accessibility by 3PlayMedia
- Webinars on Various Accessibility Topics by 3PlayMedia
- Accessibility 101: Web Headings by SSB Bart
- Lynda.com Accessibility Training Courses (Subscription Required)
- Canvas.net Free Courses (Search Accessibility)
- Accessibility 101 Recorded Webinar by Deque
Online Accessibility Checklists and Tools (External)
- Principles of Accessible Design List by WebAIM
- National Center for Disability and Access to Education Accessibility Cheatsheets
- Document Accessibility Toolbar for Microsoft Word (beta)
- PDF Accessibility Checker (Advanced Users)
ANR Accessibility Resources
- Department Accessibility Liaisons
- ANR Accessibility Contacts
- Accessibility Assistance Contact Process
- ANR Website Accessibility Rules
University Accessibility Resources
- Teaching and Learning Technology - Digital Content and Accessibility (Courses)
- Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities (RCPD)
- Office for Inclusion and Intercultural Initiatives (I3)
- IT Services Technology Training
- IT Services Support
- Office of Faculty and Organizational Development (FOD) - Universal Design Resources
- Usability/Accessibility Research and Consulting (UARC)