The North Farm Mission
Through education, research, and extension, The North Farm aims to increase the number of producers providing nutrient- dense foods to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula’s economy by establishing an entrepreneurial local food production incubator site centrally located in the Upper Peninsula. Specific project objectives are:
- Increase awareness, knowledge, and skills regarding nutrient dense food production through experiential based agricultural training and support for a diverse audience of beginning farmers, established farmers, avocational gardeners, youth, and community members.
- Increase local food production within the U.P. economy.
- Improve soil health through sustainable production practices and cultivate awareness of the connection between soil, animal, and human health.
- Develop a participatory modeling platform that will inform technology improvement and innovation adoption.
- Determine production and management best practices for season extension of nutrient dense food production above the 45th parallel.