What’s it all about?
- Students live in a Michigan State University dorm and eat in the cafeteria—just like MSU students do.
- Youth attend one or two of more than 200 session choices held on and off campus. Sessions are taught by people who know their stuff, including MSU faculty members, 4-H volunteers and staff members and other experts.
- The 2020 cost is $220.00. There is an additional $20 4-H participation fee for youth not yet enrolled in 4-H. The fee includes meals, a shared room in a dorm, sessions and a t-shirt. Check with your local county MSU Extension office to see if scholarship funds are available.
This MSU pre-college program is designed to:
- Increase responsibility, confidence, independence, accountability, problem-solving, decision-making and time management skills.
- Increase communication, team work, citizenship, and leadership skills.
- Foster ability to meet new people and make new friends from different places and backgrounds.
- Develop and expand career and personal interests.
- Increase college exploration and access to the Michigan State University campus and its resources.
- Develop social and academic skills needed for a successful transition to college and life as an adult.
- Give youth opportunities to try things that aren’t available in their county.
Learn more by reviewing the one-page 2019 Impact Summary.
Opens Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 9:00 am. Registration books that show all of the sessions and details on everything happening during Exploration Days will be available from county Extension offices early March. The online version of the 2020 registration book is now available!
- Registration deadlines (usually the end of April) vary by county, so check with your county MSU Extension office. Don’t wait until the deadline though, because popular sessions fill up fast!
- Contact the 4-H staff in your county MSU Extension office for more information on 4-H Exploration Days, and any specific details pertaining to your county’s delegation.
Addresses for the MSU dorms
Akers Hall- 908 Akers Road, East Lansing 48825
Holmes Hall- 919 East Shaw Lane, East Lansing 48825
Hubbard Hall- 964 Hubbard East Lansing 48825
MSU Culinary Services offers a wide variety of entrees and side dish choices to choose from at each meal. Most people with special dietary needs can make selections that fit their needs without making any special arrangements. View sample menu here.